Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Daisy May Whelan Calvert died the same year she was born. Islington volume 01b page 267

Don't know how I missed that - scrap that theory then!

Starting to feel at home

hello ive looked up daisy may w but also found death register 3 quarter 1898
    Daisy May W Calvert

Estimated birth year:
    abt 1898

Registration Year:

Registration Quarter:
    Jul-Aug-Sep

Age at Death:

Registration district:
    Islington

looks like I'm back to square one ;-(

I feel bad about that !

Starting to feel at home

we found at same time

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

I have spent a few hours looking at this today too.

Thomas and Annie had a large family and only one of them was a son, as previously named by Wimsey in post #4.

They had a total of 12 daughters, five of which died at less than three years old (found via GRO index).

Candidates for possible mother of Minnie are: Mary Ann (b. 1873), Anne (b. 1875) and Minnie (b. 1878), Rose (b. 1880) and Clara (b. 1882), although the last two would be young mothers, not impossible. As Thomas and Annie's last child was born in 1895 it would have been quite feasible to have brought up the younger Minnie as their own. And young Minnie most likely wouldn't have found out the truth until she was older. (I have this scenario in my own family history).

I found Anne and Minnie both at the same property in 1901 census. They are at 5 St George's Road, Southwark in the household of the Mount family (RG13/370/5/1). Neither married at this point. I suspect one of them is Minnie's mum.

Minnie Calvert (snr) marries William Henry Stiles in 1901, Canning Town. Have checked Stiles as a potential birth name - no luck there. On 1911 she's listed as having 3 children but they are all children of the marriage, with the oldest son born 1902 dying before 1911 census.

(1939 register has Minnie Seager's birthdate as recorded: 17 Apr 1897).

The Minnie Calvert born Pontypridd mentioned in a post earlier unfortunately dies in Pontypridd Jun qtr 1901 aged 3, so she's definitely ruled out. (Wimsey #2)

I may look at Annie next....

Starting to feel at home

thank you I always suspect one of daughters but marriage cert 1925 has father as albert calvert deceased! I didn't know about them having 12 daughters in all.

I feel bad for my false lead so took another look at this. On the assumption that one of the daughters is the mother, then perhaps she registered the birth under a 'married' name. Using FreeBMD I filtered all the Minnie's born West Ham between Apr-Jun qtr 1896 and Jan-Mar qtr 1897, and the third one to come up was this one:

HORTON, MINNIE mmn CALVERT
    GRO Reference: 1896 J Quarter in WEST HAM Volume 04A Page 258

I haven't been able to trace this Minnie in deaths or the census, but it's probably worth a double-check given how I missed the last one! I also can't find any other Horton/Calvert births, or a Horton/Calvert marriage.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you know who her parents were?

The reason for asking is that I spent a long searching for the birth certificate for a John James Smith, who appears on the 1911 census with his parents as 13 year old, and they say that they have been married for 14 years, but then it transpired that they actually married in 1903, and when I found him in the 1901 census he was listed as Johnny J Smith living with his mother Laura Hughes. There was no birth registration that matched. Then a light bulk moment came along and I found a birth registration for John James Hughes in the right district at the right time, with no mother's maiden name.

Starting to feel at home

hello, no i dont know the mother and only possibly her father albert calvert mentioned on her marriage cert. but it seems they only had daughters who lived. thank you for suggestion.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast