Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Seeking family of WW1 medal recipient

I have come into possession of a 1914 1918 war medal which may have been awarded to some forgotten/distant relative. I would like to pass this medal onto the family of this soldier.
    Details are as follows:
    Name T. K. Ross, Private, Scottish Rifles, No 39141. (The edge of the medal is damaged so the last number may be wrong). Have tried several sites including the Cameronians without success. Mr Ross may have survived the war and emigrated to Perth Western Australia. My grandfather and several relatives all served in WW1 he may have been a friend or neighbour. Can't find any record of a relative marrying a Ross. Any help would be appreciated.
    Alan

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Alan.
    We have a small problem with your request. Our T&C do not allow the posting of details of (potentially) living people on the open forum, although people can share such information via our Private Message (pm) system.
    That said, we can at least try and help you identify the family that you need, then your best bet may be to interest the local newspaper of where ever they may be living.
    The Commonwealth War Graves site (cwgc.org) does not have an entry for anyone from WW1 called Ross with the partial number 3914, so we can assume that he survived the War.
    The WW1 medal index card has an entry for 39141 Pte Thomas K Ross of the Scottish Rifles, also known as the Cameronians. At some point, he moved to the Royal Scots Fusiliers and his number changed to 41652. He had the Victory and British medals, indicating that he reached the Battlefront after 1 Jan 1916.

More than 60% of the WW1 service records were destroyed during the bombing of WW2, and Thomas' must have been among them as I can't find them, or pension records which suggests that he was not disabled.

If you think that he might have been a friend or neighbour of your grandfather, you could find your grandfather in the 1911 census and then have a look at the residents of the neighbouring streets.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

From Medal Card:

Name: Thomas K Ross
    Regiment or Corps: Cameronian (Scottish Rifles), Royal Scots Fusiliers
    Regimental Number: 39141, 41652

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This is the only likely match on Scotlands People
    ROSS
    THOMAS K
    M
    574/ 1/ 28
    Port Glasgow
    Renfrew

Full listing
    Port Glasgow; ED: 1; Page: 28; Line: 13
    Bouverie St 107 Bouverie Ter
    William Ross 44
    Mary Ross 44 nee Davidson?
    Martha J Ross 21
    Elizabeth Ross 19
    Mary Ross 13
    Thomas K Ross 10
    Ella Ross 4
    David Ross 2

Potential full name Thomas Knox Ross

Army record ?
    Name: Thomas Ross
    Birth Date: abt 1881
    Birth Place: Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
    Document Year: 1911
    Regimental Number: 1177
    Regiment Name: Clyde Rgn
    Form Title: Territorial Force Attestation
    Number of Images: 12
    Family Members:
    Name Relation to Soldier
    Thomas Ross Self (Head)
    Sarah Ross Wife

Loves to help with queries

On the off chance I have looked on the England and Wales 1939 register and can't find a Thomas K., but I wonder if there is a Scottish equivalent available.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Yes there is, but it is not online. You have to apply through - https://scottishancestry.blogspot.com...istration.html

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

There’s the Valuation Rolls on Scotland’s People - the 1935 is the most recent. The main drawback is that they only name heads of household...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for your prompt and helpful response. I now have confirmation of the full name of the medal recipient and his wife's name. I can now revisit Births Deaths and Marriages. Newspaper obits and hopefully census records. Not sure of the protocol for thanking everyone else who contributed so I hope they will see this post.
    Alan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Alan, just noticed your message. Thomas Knox Ross was married to my great aunt Sarah McFaun Moore. Thomas did survive WW1 moved to Ayrshire, Scotland & died 1962. I do not believe they had any children- unable to confirm that?