Settling in

Default Help With Deciphering Record

This marriage record references Dec 18 1609, for Mr. John White and Elizabeth Ayleworth (?) but I can’t make out where they’re from. He has “of Beaks...” ? after his name and she has “of T.P.” after hers. This is in Kent. Can anyone across the pond identify? I tried to upload a screenshot but kept getting error messages, so I hope this link works. Thanks!

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive..._A012635-00007
    Last edited by Calling; 23-02-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Need to break link

Your link just leads to a sign in page for Ancestry.com. I did a search for the couple through my uk subscription and couldn't find an original document to view, but a public tree on Ancestry says that John White was born in Bekesbourne, which is near Canterbury in Kent. T.P. Probably means 'of this parish'.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I saw the image before the link was (correctly, so thank you) deactivated.

Firstly, note that the image is from the 'Tyler Index to parish registers' - it is not an image of the original parish register and the advice is to always refer to the original image if possible as stuff does get mistranscribed. Judging from the writing, it's probably a 20th century transcription.

That said, I would say it says ' .. of Beakstone' (spelling in ye olde days was very much down to how the vicar thought something should be spelt), followed by a little squiggle which I now interpret as an abbreviation for bachelor. Elizabeth's surname is spelt Aylworth, T.P will be this parish, followed by the word maiden. Note that 'of this parish' means only that someone was living in that parish at the time of their marriage - it doesn't automatically mean they were born or baptised there.

If I'm ever stuck on placenames I refer to the relevant county on Genuki, and then scour the list of 'towns and parishes'.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If anyone else wants to have at look at the image, it's filed under England, Kent, Tyler Index to parish registers, and the place is Hackington.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Thank you both, very helpful. This could be a hot trail for me as further review of the index shows an Arnold White and Henry White were born to this couple. Arnold died at the tender age of 2 or 3. On my tree, Henry White Sr., my 9th ggrandfather, has sons named Arnold, Henry Jr., and John. As a matter of fact, the names John and Henry are in every generation of my White tree with relentless monotony.

There are records of a Capt. John White of England as one of the original patent holders to the Virginia colony in 1607. Henry White Sr. showed up around the 1640’s and suddenly is in possession of a lot of land there, but no deeds to him. I’m suspecting he may be the son of Capt. John. It’s a confounding thing - many other Americans descended from this line like me can’t determine who is the father of Henry White Sr. Additionally, there were 2 or 3 other Henry Whites in the colony during the 16th century, so the records are confusing.