Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Free access to UK and Ireland records

Don't get too carried away - it's only until midnight (UK time) on Sunday 26 February.

Information courtesy of Peter Calver of Lost Cousins. https://www.
    lostcousins.com/newsletters2/latefeb18news.htm

There's also news of other free stuff/reduced prices.
    And just past them a link to some tutorials about researching your Irish ancestors.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Sorry to be so pathetic but as usual have tied myself in knots trying to understand how to access these records.
    I received an email in this morning from A.... saying click on this link. I then typed in my christian and surname,
    year and place of birth then a page comes up saying click for free access. That takes me to a page asking to sign up
    for a free trial with a credit card. So I then went to my account (I am a guest of a worldwide member) to see if I can
    access my Hints but can't plus the page is down for technical reasons.
    Please can someone give me an idiot's guide to what I am meant to do - this always seems to happen. Even when I
    struggled to get to the library it was nigh impossible to sign in..
    with thanks Jill

Dundee10

I don't understand why you are putting in your name and birth details.

Just log in to ancestry.co.uk with your username or email as well as your password. Are you already a registered user?

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks DUNDEE
    i HAVE PUT THOSE DETAILS IN because as I said the email from A said click on link and I was asked to put that info in.
    i hav ejust typed in log in to ancestry.co.uk and that's a form to join?

Click on the link given here and it will take you to a search page. I tried whilst logged out of my own account and it brought up details I asked for without requiring further log-in.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Dundee10

I logged out and was taken to the page you are talking about with name, birth year and place. That is not for your details but the ancestor you are searching for. When you fill that in and click on 'search free' you should get a pop up box that asks for your email address and says - A username and password will be emailed to you.

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks SUE and
    DUNDEE Now I feel an idiot, but never mind - live and learn!
    Very many thanks. I typed in details of my gm and up comes possibles for her and not the pop up box, presumably
    as I am a guest member.
    So guess I need to go to my Tree and go to Hints and then cross reference with free access although I note
    there's no means of saving it - ie a census came up nor for cancelling the Hint