Starting to feel at home

Default German military records

My 2nd gt grandfather August Damps was German and moved to Britain some time before 1901. In 1915 he was taken to an internment camp in Surrey. In the register (listed as August Dambs) he is listed as a soldier even though in all other records I've found him in, there is no mention of him being military. I would like to know whether he was called up to fight for Germany in the war or whether he carried out a short stint of military service before he moved here.

I have an identification number for him and a company/regiment number but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any advice much appreciated.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

As I didn't have a clue where to start with an answer I did what I always do in such a situation - used a search engine. There is loads of information 'out there', but it needs sifting through. Two pieces which imediately caught my eye were
    https://www.
    whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/overseas/world-war-internment
    and https://
    genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/3915/finding-information-on-german-soldiers-from-world-war-i-and-world-war-ii
    Scroll right down to the bottom of the second link for a link to more links.

Have you tried searching local newspapers for either news of his internment or release?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

I didn't think about checking the newspapers. Thanks.