Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mysterious entry for occupation of widow?

I'm researching the family of my maternal great grandmother, Emma Jane Woodcock, from Hertford, who was very special to my mother. Following them through the census records - 1841 onwards, a story is unravelling of deaths, and workhouses. A puzzling thing, though, is the 1871 census. The father of the family, George snr (1821) has disappeared since the last census, presumably, I thought, dead. The last daughter, Emma Jane was born around 1870 (the last of 12 children!), so he must have been around within a couple of years of the 1871 census. On the image of the census, the mother (Susan, 1827) is listed as the head of the household. I can't quite make out what is entered for marital status. The curious thing though, is the entry for "occupation". Three words - the first two are, I think, "Husband in", but I can't make out the third, which almost looks like "Hungary".

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the image here. Any ideas? First post, by the way.....

Famous for offering help & advice

looks like "Husband in Hungary" to me

Hertford; ED 8; schedule 40; piece 1373; folio 6; page 7

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Me too, though I can't make sense of that! He was a brickmaker - was there a great demand for brickmakers in Hungary then?

Growing old Disgracefully

Was the husband around in the other Census what was his occupation in them might give you a clue to what he was up to

sorry we crossed post's

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    looks like "Husband in Hungary" to me

Hertford; ED 8; schedule 40; piece 1373; folio 6; page 7
    having said that, the H of Hungary isn't like the H of Husband or Housekeeper which have those extra loops

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    having said that, the H of Hungary isn't like the H of Husband or Housekeeper which have those extra loops
    I would agree that the H of Hungary is written differently to other H's on the page, but I wouldn't worry to much about it. I've seen capital A's written differently on the same page. I don't see how what's written can be anything other than Hungary. (Though something completely different might have been written on the original household schedule. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

https://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.c...t-stephens.htm

Perhaps look at this page. Scroll down to 1871 and auction of all goods from a brickmaking company.

Auction by Humbert & Cox. ??? I don't know ?? where was George and or his family in 1881 ?
    Last edited by Peter_NB; 17-02-2018 at 2:23 PM. Reason: link problems

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I reckon the husband died (or disappeared) around 1869-1871. In 1881, the oldest son had left and got married. The rest of the family were in the same dwelling as 1871.