Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Nolan/Mitchell brick wall

Hi all,
    We were always told (by my G grandfather, John Mitchell from Acton) that his mothers maiden surname was Nolan (of Ireland). Her name was listed as Mary Nolan on several of his documents. We were told his father was James Mitchell, although there is no record of that name on any documents and he surely doesn't seem to have been around which coincides with the life of my G grandfather and his siblings. Looking at census records and birth certificates Mary is listed as Mary Mitchell a spinster and no father is listed for her children. In the 1901 census she is listed as living with two widowed women, one named Bridget Drew whom I came to find out had the maiden surname of Nolan with a father named James Nolan, all of Ireland (which fits with Mary). I wondered if maybe this Bridget was an aunt, sister or even mother to Mary and I just can't figure this out. I'm not sure where exactly to look anymore, or even what to look for. I'd really like to find more pieces here but this giant brick wall is here. Any help or advice is much appreciated! I should add that Mary Mitchell died 7 Nov 1907 in Isleworth. Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

What is her year of birth?Do you have birth certificates for her children?

Hello Missy76, welcome to the Brit-Gen forum and good luck with your research.

In the 1901 census she is listed as living with two widowed women, one named Bridget Drew
    Mary Mitchell, her son John and unnamed daughter weren't living with either Bridget Drew or Mary Berry in 1901, they were living in a separate household, that said it is possible the two widows were related to Mary as all three were born Ireland, however, it's also possible they were unrelated.

Do you know the name of Mary's daughter, and have you found both children in 1911?
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have birth certificates for two of the children. John born 1897 and Winifred 1901..both born in Acton. Mary was born abt 1877/1878 according to her death record.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Please list all detail from those certificates.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

They state both John and Winifred were born at 3 Stanley Rd. to Mary Mitchell a laundress. Henry Mitchell listed as registrar on both certificates. John dob 19 Nov 1897 registered 7 Jan 1898, Winifred dob 31 Jan 1901 registered 18 Mar 1901 For both the registration district is Brentford, sub district of Acton in t he county of Middlesex. There doesn't appear to be any other information.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hello Missy76, welcome to the Brit-Gen forum and good luck with your research.

Mary Mitchell, her son John and unnamed daughter weren't living with either Bridget Drew or Mary Berry in 1901, they were living in a separate household, that said it is possible the two widows were related to Mary as all three were born Ireland, however, it's also possible they were unrelated.

Do you know the name of Mary's daughter, and have you found both children in 1911?
    I thought because they all lived at 3 Stanley Rd, they were living together. I did find it a little odd it said all the women were the head of household. Mary's daughter listed in that census was Winifred although she did have another named Lily in 1903. All the children were living in a convent after Mary's death.

Could this be Lily's birth registration?

NOLAN, LILIAN MAY, Mother's maiden name MITCHELL
    GRO Reference: 1903 D Quarter in BRENTFORD Volume 03A Page 197

Was the convent in England?
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Could this be Lily's birth registration?

NOLAN, LILIAN MAY, Mother's maiden name MITCHELL
    GRO Reference: 1903 D Quarter in BRENTFORD Volume 03A Page 197

Was the convent in England?
    They were in England, not sure where my G Grandfather went but Lily went to St. Edwards and Winifred to St Anne's. A cousin of mine (descendant of Lily) had this to say on that Lilian May you referenced. "I've searched for a marriage between James Nolan and Mary Mitchell without success. I checked the 1911 census for any sign of the 'Nolan' family in the UK but nothing. By 1911 we know our Mary Mitchell was dead and the children were with the nuns. I did find a James Nolan 'a former groom originally from Ireland' who, in 1911, was an inmate at a local workhouse in Acton. I also checked the registers for a 'Lilian May Nolan' but could find no marriage or death allowing for her 1903 birth date. Could this entry of birth the reason why a 'James' and a 'Nolan' feature in our family story? A stableman and groom are similar occupations. Finally we know our Lily was born in 1903 in Acton however my grandmother always claimed her birthday was 08/12/1903. It could be coincidence but wouldn't it be lovely if it was fact?"

Did the three children marry in England, if so where, when and who to?
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast