Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Did the three children marry in England, if so where, when and who to?
    I've now seen a family tree on Ancestry which has John, Winifred and Lily, there's birth and marriage dates for John and Lily, and a birth date for Winifred but no marriage. Is it your tree?

We could do with finding either a death or marriage for Winifred. The tree says "About 1916 • St Anne's School Portobello Road Kensington England John A Mitchell listed Winnedred Mitchell as his next of kin (sister) on his Attestation papers for the Canadian Over-Seas Expedtionary Force"

I have to leave it for now, I'll look by later. If you have any other information which may help with the search, please post.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I've now seen a family tree on Ancestry which has John, Winifred and Lily, there's birth and marriage dates for John and Lily, and a birth date for Winifred but no marriage. Is it your tree?

We could do with finding either a death or marriage for Winifred. The tree says "About 1916 • St Anne's School Portobello Road Kensington England John A Mitchell listed Winnedred Mitchell as his next of kin (sister) on his Attestation papers for the Canadian Over-Seas Expedtionary Force"

I have to leave it for now, I'll look by later. If you have any other information which may help with the search, please post.
    Yes, that's mine. Thank you so much. Lily or Lilian Josephine Mitchell as she used at one point did marry. It's long been speculated that Winifred died in the 50's during war. She was just never heard from again as I'm told.

I think I've found Winifred on the 1939 register, she's married, unfortunately I cannot post the details from the register as FMP's t&c's don't allow.

I can tell you I think this is her marriage

FreeBMD, Marriages Mar 1935
    Claydon Charles W Mitchell Bradfield 2c 665
    MITCHELL Winifred K Claydon Bradfield 2c 665
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much. I had never even heard of FreeBMD. I looked it up and see this info. Perhaps I can find more.

I think I've found Winifred on the 1939 register, she's married, unfortunately I cannot post the details from the register as FMP's t&c's don't allow.

I can tell you I think this is her marriage

FreeBMD, Marriages Mar 1935
    Claydon Charles W Mitchell Bradfield 2c 665
    MITCHELL Winifred K Claydon Bradfield 2c 665
    I'm as certain as I can be that 'your' Winifred married Charles W Claydon. The couple are on the 1939 register and Winifred's birth date is exactly the same as your Winifred's. Now to try and establish if they ever had children, and possibly find a death record for Winifred.
    Alma

Do you know why Winifred possibly had the middle name Transvaal? It wasn't listed on her birth registration (do you have her birth certificate?), it's not unusual for middle names to be added after registration, but I find Transvaal an unusual choice.

Deaths Sep 1978
    CLAYDON WINIFRED TRANSVAAL 31JA1901 (her birth date) BARKING vol 11, page 5

I haven't found any children's births for Winifred.
    Alma

Winifred's husband's death registration.

Charles William Claydon, Age: 85, born 22 May 1906
    Dec 1991, Registration district: Barking and Dagenham
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Do you know why Winifred possibly had the middle name Transvaal? It wasn't listed on her birth registration (do you have her birth certificate?), it's not unusual for middle names to be added after registration, but I find Transvaal an unusual choice.

Deaths Sep 1978
    CLAYDON WINIFRED TRANSVAAL 31JA1901 (her birth date) BARKING vol 11, page 5

I haven't found any children's births for Winifred.
    Wow, you've found so much. I guess that 1939 register is useful. I have findmypast but not that part of it. I had heard that the children probably were given middle names while with the nuns but of course we are speculating. That is such an odd name. I was so hoping there would be some children. I wrote previously that it was believed Winifred died in the 50's but I meant 40's. My Granny said after a bombing they never heard from her again. Very sad wither way. I really appreciate your helping in this.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Do you know the best place to go to order a copy of their marriage certificate? I wonder if mothers maiden name was listed on those in England at that time? Perhaps on the death certificate?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

All certificates can be ordered from www.gro.gov.uk they currently cost £9.25p ( The site advises you what you may expect to find on the various certificates)

When on the site you will notice that the GRO are trialing .pdf for in respect of Births & Deaths at a cost of £6.00

Transvaal circa 1901 could be a reference to the 2nd Boer War 1899-1902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast