Thread: 1939 Register

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default 1939 Register

I have been doing a little bit of research on one of the lines of my family that I know little about and this has led me to an entry in the 1939 Register that has me a little puzzled. Now I know I can't give you full details, but bear with me.

My grandfather's cousin (on his mother's side) Duncan William Evans was born about 1901 in Talysarn, Carnarvonshire, and by 1911 had moved with his family to Neath, Glamorganshire, and I imagine that my grandfather, who by then was an orphan being brought up by his paternal grandmother, had lost all contact with that side of the family.

However, Duncan, is not a common first name in Wales, and it probably came from his mother who was a McIntyre. So I am reasonably confident that one and only Duncan Evans in the 1939 Register living in Wales, who happens to be living in Neath is him.

What has puzzled me is that he appears as No. 6 on the schedule and he is married; above him at No. 5 is Edith Evans, also married born 1905, and then No. 1 is closed, No 2 is and Evans born 1926; No. 3 is and Evans born 1929, and No. 3 is an Evans born 1931.

Would you not normally expect to see parents at positions No. 1 and 2, and with the husband at No. 1?

I don't think the No. 1 position can be taken by the parent of Nos. 2, 3, and 4 since that surely would have been opened automatically having gone beyond the 100 year rule?

I hope you are able to follow my rambling and any thoughts would be appreciated.

Megan, I agree the order of names doesn't seem to be the regular order, but I do think those listed at 2, 3 and 4 are Duncan and Edith's children as I found Duncan's marriage and thereby Edith's maiden name, which matches with the children's births.

As experience tells us things aren't always as they seem, we have to consider any possibilities; I suppose Edith may not be the Edith married to Duncan - though if is she isn't I'd be surprised - and even if that were the case it doesn't throw light on why the younger Evans' were listed before the adults.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

Why do you think the 1939 National Registration or for that matter census required people to be added in any set order?
    They are simply added in whatever order the person filling out the schedule places them.

I shall give two examples
    1) 1939
    Guy, John P – head of household
    Guy, John P.H. – son
    Guy Stella A. – wife of head of household & mother of son & daughter
    Guy Mary M. – daughter
    Hitchcox Nellie – Housemaid
    Coffey Mary N – Cook General

2) 1911 Census
    John Valentine – servant (dom)
    Henrietta Mead - servant (dom)
    Lily Annie Halford - servant (dom)
    Anita Berry – visitor
    John Guy – head

The census was filled in by John Guy.
    Anita Berry (Stella A) & John Guy eventually married in 1934 after the death of his first wife in 1933.

Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Etchells; 16-02-2018 at 9:06 AM. Reason: additon in brackets
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have discovered a few of my ancestors on the 1939 Register where the "Head" of the family is listed either after his wife or in one instance after his children.
    If the children ;listed above the father have the mother's maiden name then it is reasonably safe to assume they belong to the family and can be easily proved with certificates anyway.