Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... might have to agree to disagree on this one.
    I see it as a matter of evidence rather than opinion.

We have seen documentary evidence that someone called James Pennell received the Crimea Medal with Sebastopol clasp. We haven't seen evidence that this James Pennell was your ancestor.

We have seen evidence that strongly suggests that your ancestor was not in the Crimea.

Do please look at the evidence and consider the implications. Also please examine the medal. Is it an official British pressing? Is the name engraved or impressed? What exactly does it say?

Catherine was a nurse
    We haven't looked at this yet but do you have any evidence? Have you found Catherine in the 1851 census? What was her occupation?

Peter Goodey: - We haven't looked at this yet but do you have any evidence? Have you found Catherine in the 1851 census? What was her occupation?
    Catherine Fuell
    1841 HO107 Piece 663 Book 4 Folio 58 Page 22 Catherine Fuell with her parents age 10
    1851 HO107 Piece 1502 Folio 405 Page 29 Catherine Fuel (one 'l') a servant in the household of William Johnson - Occupation Landed proprietor, Newington Green Lambeth

In the 1841 census there are 12 James Pennell born c1821, 1823, 2 x 1826, 1827, 1828, 2 x 1830,
    1833, 1835, 1836, 1840.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

a servant in the household of William Johnson
    So, not a nurse! Thanks for finding that, Christina and thanks also for listing all the births and baptisms.

I doubt that there's much more we can do on this one. I might suggest searching the pay and muster records but I somehow doubt that the questioner would be interested.

They left London in Sept 1860 and arrived NZ Dec 1860.
    The Chile passenger list has James Pennell, wife Catherine, brother-in-law Frederick Fuell and son James (b.1853)

Hi
    Have you taken out some credits to check out the Military records for a James Pennell in the time period? There are 12 of them I think and also some with the surname Pannell and Punell which need checking. Whether these records will have any information that rules them in or out as being your James I don't know but they need to be seen.

Which site has the shipping record for the family going to NZ in 1861? I am on ancestry and it doesn't appear to have it but then again my searching skills lack finesse sometimes.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123