Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Cockney-Sparra

Default Susan Warner/Bristol

Hi,

Still trying to knock down this brickwall...it's been forever arrrgghhhh :-/

My 2x Gt Grandmother was born Susan Warner in 1817, Bristol.
    I can find nothing relating to her birth or family etc.

I have come across a family named WARNER in Bristol that got my attention - (Henry and Hannah nee Blose Heath - originally from Froyle, Hampshire) who had a few children around the right time but I can't find a 'Susan' born around 1817 with them.
    They appear to have been Quakers.(marriage record)

My Susan married William Brown (no record found) and lived in Shoreditch, East London (51 and 71 Census records). She disappears after that but I know from a newspaper article regarding her son, she was in a "Lunatic Asylum" in 1884. I can't find her after 1871, neither the asylum she was in, or a death for her.

I'm hoping that maybe someone more experienced and with access to records other than on Ancestry may be able to help....pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Had you discounted ?

General Register Office (GRO) Death Registrations -
    Susan Brown, age 78, Dec Qtr 1897, Shoreditch, vol 1C page 46
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Dundee10

I do not have access to the image, but on Ancestry there is a London marriage banns entry in 1838 for a William BROWN and Susannah WARNER. I cannot see a corresponding marriage and you should be able to tell from that entry whether or not the marriage went ahead.

Famous for offering help & advice

William Brown "widower" on that banns record. Sorry, how do I tell if the marriage went ahead ? They are both "of this parish" - St John, Hackney.

Loves to help with queries

What records have you checked in attempting to find a baptism/birth for Susan/Susannah Warner in or near Bristol?

Cockney-Sparra

Hi Helachau,

I think I did discount that one some time ago. I think I found a Susan Brown in a census in Shoreditch that was born 1919 and assumed it was her, not my Susan.

I don't know the area she died in as I have no idea what Asylum she was taken to or whether or not she returned home etc.
    I'm aware that back in the day, women were often put in a "Lunatic Asylum" if they were suffering with depression, they weren't actually "mad". So, it's possible she didn't end her days there.

The newspaper report only mentioned that her son was originally going to take a "pony & trap" to visit her but "ended up taking the train" - it didn't mention the area or name of the Asylum. I gather from that, it wasn't the local Asylum.

I can't find William Brown after 1871, either...He was born 1807 in Spitalfields, London.
    I've searched for deaths but there are sooooooooooo many "William Brown" deaths in that area, it's like looking for "Jones" in Wales lol.

Their first child (John Warner Brown) was born in 1836 in Southwark, London. So, that gives a bench mark for a marriage but I can't find it ...

Cockney-Sparra

Hi Dundee10,

I had seen that marriage but discounted it some time ago..It says they are both "of this Parish" - Hackney is only a stones throw from Shoreditch but their first child was born in 1836 (2 yrs before that marriage) he was born in Southwark (South London, other side of the river Thames) Also, that bride was "Susannah Warner" I only know of mine as Susan - It's possible she shortened it but her son "Edward" (b 1853 Shoreditch) named my nan "Susan" - I assume she was named after his mother...

Cockney-Sparra

Hi Burt,

I only have access to the records on Ancestry.co.uk..They have extensive records for London and many areas but they don't seem to have much for the Bristol/Somerset areas etc...

I have tried searching sites for help with finding inmates of "Lunatic Asylum" but I hit brickwalls all the time. As I have no idea what Asylum she was in, I find it hard. It could be any one - I'm not very experienced. I've been researching for some time and enjoy it but my knowledge and access to records is quite limited compared to many on here.

Cockney-Sparra

oops I mean *1819

Hi
    Could this be William and Susan

There is a newpaper artical its in two papers so far about the death inquest for William Brown late a shoemaker date
    8/2/1879, Reading papers Berkshire papers could be more, he apparently fell from his cart and died
    Susan Brown said i am the wife of William Brown, i was sent for Wednesday morning last and remained with him till he died.
    His daughter with whom he lived is very unwell, she said his health was failing and he was 70 years old and a laborer he had a
    comfortable home
    Don't want to put all it says in case she isn't your Susan

PEANUT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast