Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finding Grandparents for my friend

Grandparents
    Ok so my friends father was Frederick John Last but was always known as Frederick John Anderson born 1930 St Olave 48a Lower Road (the old Rotherithe Hospital/Infirmary) Bermondsey. He had a much younger brother Alfred Anderson born 1942 St Mary's Hospital Islington. All I was told was that they were orphaned when Alfie was 5 and he was put into an orphanage. Frederick boarded with a lady called Emily Wakelin at 36 Cobden House, St Pancras. Emily was a witness on Frederick's marriage certificate. When Frederick married in 1951 as Anderson he was then able to get his little brother out of the orphanage. They lived then at 25 Corinth Road Islington.

So not seeing or finding anything useful I proceeded to order the birth certificates for the boys.

Frederick born 1930 48a Lower Road Rotherithe, mother Mabel Kathleen Last a domestic Servant of 77 Hawkstone Road Rotherithe. (Apparently Frederick's mum was a cleaner in a posh house)

Alfred Anderson born 1942 St Mary's Hospital Islington father Alfred Frederick Anderson a fireman LCC mother Mabel Felicia Anderson formerly Golisberg of 161 Grafton Road NW5

I cannot find Mabel and as far as my friend knows they had the same mother. I looked knowing they had both died when the kids were young for death certificates for Mabel & Alfred.

Alfred Frederick Anderson age 56 of 130 Malden Road, St Pancras a Theatre Fireman died 1945 M F Anderson widow of deceased present at death. Highgate Hospital.

Mabel Felicia Anderson age 44 of 150 Malden Road St Pancras widow of Frederick John Anderson ! I think the informant was hospital staff at St Mary's Hospital.

I found Alfred Frederick Anderson and a Rose Elizabeth Anderson on the London Electoral rolls living at 106 Carlton Street St Pancras between 1931 & 1934 but in 1933 Mabel Felicia Last is living there too ! Rose disappeared after 1934 and from then on it is Alfred Frederick Anderson and Mabel Felicia Anderson.

I needed to know who Rose was and first thought it may have been his mother but then realising the age gap between Alfred b 1889 and Mabel b1903 I suspected he may have married before not to mention he may have also gone to war.

Incidentally I emailed the London Fire Brigade but they would only speak to my friend. They did that but told her the information had already been sent to Chris (Chris who put a message on here back in 2010) The last time she saw him was at a wedding in 1975.

I found a family that included an Alfred Frederick Anderson on the 1901 census Regents Park. I think it is his family. This family moved to Rugby Warwickshire in 1906. I've done quite a bit on the family.

I found a marriage record for Alfred Frederick Anderson & Rose Elizabeth Westley.

3 Dec 1904 The Register Office Rugby. Alfred Frederick Anderson a police constable and Rose Elizabeth Westley with one of the witness being Alfred Frederick Anderson youngest sister.

Assuming this was the same Rose Elizabeth Anderson living in St Pancras I thought I had cracked that side.

Until I found a newspaper entry in the Rugby Times 1947 saying Rose Anderson formerly Westley had gone to Birmingham divorce court and was granted a decree of dissolution of the marriage to Alfred Frederick Anderson and that he was presumed dead. She married a John Davies in 1948 in Northampton. She had two boys with Alfred in 1915 + 1917and another with John Davies in 1928 in Doncaster.

I'm still convinced I have the correct family for Alfred Frederick Anderson. I can't find Mabel there are no marriage records - I suspect they were just living together. I looked to see if Mabel married anyone else. Golisberg does not exist anywhere on Ancestry Genes Reunited or Find My Past. When I googled Golisberg I found Chris's thread on this site !

I found Alfred Frederick Anderson and Mabel Felicia Anderson on the 1939 register living at 161 Grafton Road St Pancras. An ex fireman enrolled in Auxiliary Fire Service dob 23 Feb 1889 & Mabel Felicia Anderson home duties dob 1 March 1903.

I need help please I need to find Mabel and her family. I need to know if Alfred Frederick Anderson I the one I think he is. I still do not know if Frederick John Last an Alfred Anderson actually have the same father. Not even finding Mabel in 1911 didn't help.

I can tell you Mabel is not Mabel Felicia S Last born in Suffolk/Ipswich in 1903 - checked that family out already.

My Anderson tree on Ancestry has all these details on there.

Thank you

Nadia

Famous for offering help & advice

probably a typo - the Mabel Last born Ipswich 1903 was Mabel KATHLEEN Saunders Last - not Felicia as far as I can see.

Ah sorry I meant that Mabel Kathleen Saunders Last !!

So confusing when you are trying to explain things !

... so the birth certificate of Frederick John born 1930 has no father's name, is that correct ? at least you don't mention one.

No no father on Frederick's birth certificate. I do know that when the family found his original birth certificate it had Last crossed out and Anderson written undrneath.

I guess I'm surprised that Rose and Alfred are living together in 1931 when Rose had had a son by another man in 1928. By the way, the Rugby marriage was 1914 not 1904. Not sure if there is significance that Alfred gets himself onto the 1942 birth certificate as father, though not married to the mother, but doesn't get himself onto the 1930 birth certificate in identical circumstances. Not sure why Mabel would change her middle name.

Another typo of mine sorry.

Yes I can't understand why Mabel changed her middle name and I still would have thought they were two different Mabel's had I not found her as Mabel Felicia Last on the electoral roll.
    Mabel Kathleen Last 1930 , Mabel Felicia Golisberg 1942, Mabel Felicia Last 1933, Mabel Felicia Anderson 1934-1947

Nadia

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia Rogers View Post
    Mabel Felicia Anderson home duties dob 1 March 1903.
    I can tell you Mabel is not Mabel Felicia S Last born in Suffolk/Ipswich in 1903 - checked that family out already.
    I think her twin sister Winifred married as Winifred G. LAST in Ipswich in 1935 to William NORTON. There is a Winifred G NORTON in Ipswich in 1939 who shows a birthdate of 1 March 1903. Their mother's name was Kate.

1911 census

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7G5-MGN

What do you know about this Mabel that makes you think she is not the one?

Not even finding Mabel in 1911 didn't help.
    Do you mean that you have found her in 1911? I cannot find your Ancestry tree, it must not yet be indexed.

Do you know where Frederick John was in 1939? There are no closed records with Alfred and Mabel.

Reginald age 6 in that 1911 census you found Dundee is registered as Reginald Saunders Saunders. Ipswich Dec 1/4 1905 on the GRO index but only shows up as Reginald Saunders Last on FreeBMD with the same page and volume numbers. I am still trying to get my head around all this whilst having a new kitchen and laundry floor put down. Compressor and nail gun - music for the ears.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Winifred's date of birth, which is the same date as Mabel Anderson's clinches it for me that Mabel Kathleen born Ipswich is 'your' lady. Well done Dundee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    I think her twin sister Winifred married as Winifred G. LAST in Ipswich in 1935 to William NORTON. There is a Winifred G NORTON in Ipswich in 1939 who shows a birthdate of 1 March 1903. Their mother's name was Kate.

1911 census

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7G5-MGN

What do you know about this Mabel that makes you think she is not the one?

Do you mean that you have found her in 1911? I cannot find your Ancestry tree, it must not yet be indexed.

Do you know where Frederick John was in 1939? There are no closed records with Alfred and Mabel.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast