Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help to identify this drummer's regiment

I have a photo that I would like to post on here in the hope that someone can tell me the Regiment, but when I try Insert image and select the photo from my computer then upload it just puts a URL

What should I do?

Obviously I am new to this! The photo is there and now I feel stupid
    I think this is my father. I would like to know what the uniform is and the badge on the drum. He was born 1911 and lived in Sheffield. Could it even be his father who was in York & Lancaster Regiment and was killed in Bullecourt, France 1917?

Knowledgeable and helpful

It does look like York & Lancaster Regiment - a crown above a rose above a lion:

https://www.britisharmycapbadgesandmi...h=50483&phqu=1

Peter

I think it might be "South Africa ???" on the drum, which suggests Boer War.

Peter

Thanks for your reply. Although it looks like that, I enlarged just the drum and the wording under lion does not say York & Lancaster but seems to say 'North Africa' but some of the wording is covered by the cords.

Thanks again - I didn't think of 'South'. My Granddad was born 20 Nov 1885 so is it possible that he was in the Boar War? He didn't join up for WII until 2015 and that was the second line division which became the 62nd (West Riding)Division. Apparently they were raw recruits so it is unlikely that he was in the Boar War. I am wondering if it is possible that it is my Dad at some sort of exhibition and was allowed to dress up like that? It looks so much like my Dad that I cannot believe it was his own Dad. Obviously I shall have to do some more research as I only have military records for my Granddad for WWI. When I was little my Dad taught me a drumming rhythm with my hands and my much older sister said that he taught her using pencils or knitting needles.

The second Boer War was fought between 1899 and 1902 so, unless your grandfather joined up as a boy, it's unlikely.

I wonder if the legend on the drum was to commemorate the regiments action in the Boer War at a much later date.

There are some very knowledgeable war historians on here who, I'm sure, will be along to give their views.

Peter

Reputation beyond repute

The regiment has battle honours for the relief of Ladysmith.

I don't think my Granddad went to the Boar War as he was in Sheffield for the 1901 census and the York & Lancaster Regiment seem to have gone to South Africa 1900. I named this thread 'how do I add a photo?' so it might not attract knowledgeable war historians. I might try putting my picture up again with a better title now that I know how to do that. I'll give it a little while yet though. I am pleased to have received your responses as they have set me off to various other websites which I have found interesting. I might take a trip to Rotherham to the Regimental Museum one day.

Hi
    Don't start another thread as it will confuse us I will give your thread another title and if you don't like it you can tell me what you would like it to be.
    Christina

Added: Done - new title - ' Help to identify this drummer's regiment'
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast