Knowledgeable and helpful

Default I really must ..............................

For the past couple of weeks I have been researching differing ancestral branches of my family, both paternal and maternal.
    I find records in the census returns, then go to FamilySearch to try to go back past civil registration and census. And this is where I am getting a little carried away.
    I find a record that fits with my research but there is a little symbol on FamilySearch showing there is a pedigree entry. So I access it, check on the number of sources and discover more and more possible family members.
    So off I go following theses families through to the mid-19th century, getting lots of notes, screen dumps, etc.
    But this is where I must STOP, and update my database and annotate that I need to verify all these findings.
    Otherwise I'll have a mound of pieces of paper which in later days I'll wonder where on earth do these names and families fit into my tree.
    Discipline, David, discipline!!!!!!

I suffered a severe case of distraction just today. I was actually doing some work on a friend's ancestors in NZ but somehow got sidetracked by mention of the Clareville cemetery just up the road from me. I discovered that the first nurse to be registered in the World was buried there, Ellen Dougherty 1844-1919. Turns out that NZ introduced registration of nurses in 1901 but the UK didn't introduce registration until 1919. Reading about Ellen led to Charles Decimus Barraud 1821- 1897, a pharmacist and artist born in Surrey and off I went.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    For the past couple of weeks I have been researching differing ancestral branches of my family, both paternal and maternal.
    I find records in the census returns, then go to FamilySearch to try to go back past civil registration and census. And this is where I am getting a little carried away.
    I find a record that fits with my research but there is a little symbol on FamilySearch showing there is a pedigree entry. So I access it, check on the number of sources and discover more and more possible family members.
    So off I go following theses families through to the mid-19th century, getting lots of notes, screen dumps, etc.
    But this is where I must STOP, and update my database and annotate that I need to verify all these findings.
    Otherwise I'll have a mound of pieces of paper which in later days I'll wonder where on earth do these names and families fit into my tree.
    Discipline, David, discipline!!!!!!
    Been there so many times, and subsequently have T-shirts in every colour of the rainbow.

Admittedly it helps that it's all new work, but I'm currently writing up an uncle-by-marriage's tree and everything is going straight on to the computer. I also have a check list - BMD, 41, 51, 61, etc census, 1939 Register, electoral rolls, military service, school registers, etc, and I'm also taking care that I enter my sources and if it's a transcription, or if I've got an original image. With a final column for noting that I've entered the person into the family tree program.
    I'm quite disciplined about doing one person at a time, and I'm hoping that this will make it easier when I start to write up my own family history. And I've got a standard format for how I write out the notes.

Haven't ever noted about people having pedigree files on Family Search. Should I start to go there?

Pam

Loves to help with queries

Familysearch wanted me to register, then they nagged me to start a tree. It's not as bad as Ancestry hints, but they keep sending me helpful messages. "Do you know one of your ancestors was married in the Netherlands?" Actually, nearly half of them were (a few of my dad's ancestors were German but mostly Dutch.) Yesterday they suggested a father for one of my Irish lines, Anne Quail. He was a Quail who married a Murnin in County Down, the right place. I knew I had Murnins as witnesses on one of my Irish marriages but having gone through all my pieces of paper it's not for the William McIlheron and Anne Quail marriage but the Bernard Breen and Mary McIlheron marriage. I don't think I dare accept the hint, cicilysmith

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

Haven't ever noted about people having pedigree files on Family Search. Should I start to go there?

Pam
    It is definitely worth going there.
    When the Results of your query are returned have a look at the right hand side of the screen. Mainly there will only be a minimised page, sometimes a camera for the image and occasionally a little three bar symbol. Click on that and when the page is displayed have a look at the SOURCES field. Any number greater than one means there are more family members that will be displayed.
    I only discovered it a few weeks ago.
    The sources used to list the family member details are usually listed and in rare cases there is additional information, for example on one of the pages I viewed the head of the family had been served a Bastardy Notice.
    Obviously we need to do our own verification of the information.
    David

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks for the additional info, David.
    Don't know whether to be sad or really grateful (as at the moment I've not got any time for family history) that the three random names I searched all came back with only one source.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Thanks for the additional info, David.
    Don't know whether to be sad or really grateful (as at the moment I've not got any time for family history) that the three random names I searched all came back with only one source.

Pam
    Same results for me Pam but am glad David posted the info anyway. Now I just have to remember to use it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

David

I know the feeling particularly when I look at my notes circa 1980. The good news, a computer has allowed me to put them in their respective family units so not all wasted.
    Still got piles of papers notes to look thru!

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Still got piles of papers notes to look thru!
    You should see the pile I have. I hit a brick wall with my family so started a one-name study on the TUSON surname. I have folders for the families from different counties and a filing cabinet full of pages downloaded from the web to be checked - ONE DAY. Even though I am retired I never seem to have enough time for research, too many other things attract my attention (gardening, house renovation, a model railway, transcribing for FreeCEN, just to name a few)
    Still, every afternoon I devote a couple of hours to research so I'm making some progress.

An update..................................

I have discovered another intriguing source of information on the familysearch site.
    In my first post above I mentioned the additional names that can be found when 'clicking' the SOURCES button.
    Today I noticed on a record I was looking at had a value '23" in the MEMORIES button - I clicked and found photographs of homes, gravestones, etc., and scanned images of death notices, electoral roll, etc., All those pieces contributed by persons researching the family.
    Needless to say I followed all the links and became engrossed in the findings.

I'm going on holiday in a few days but I'll certainly be spending more time on the familysearch site when I return.

David