Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miss Margaret Shyne

Welcome.

I am looking for sources of information about Margaret Shyne born around 1839 in the UK (maybe England?). Margaret Shyne died in Poland in 1889 in the Kurowice estate. At that time, this region of Poland was part of the Russian Empire. Margaret Shyne was a teacher of children of the owners of Kurowice the Trębicki family. Her grave is located in Zembrów near Sokołów Podlaski. On it there is an inscription in Polish "Dear Miss Margaret Shyne. An English woman who died in Kurowice on June 24, 1889, asks for a Hail Mary, a grateful mother of her beloved disciple."

The death certificate is made in Russian. Unfortunately, it contains only a few pieces of information: subject to Great Britain, fifty years old and the daughter of unknown parents (but unknown to the applicant - the valet and other servant).

Maybe someone ever looked for what happened to a person with that name? I'm guessing that it had to be a well-educated person to be a governess. Unfortunately, I could not find the descendants of the owners of the Kurowice estate, so I do not have a starting point. The monument is quite solid, it still looks decent, so I'm guessing that it was an important person for your student.

How then did the English seek job in other countries as an English teacher and maybe other languages ​​(probably French)?

--
    Best regards
    Jarosław Młynik

thewideeyedowl

Hello and welcome to BritGen...

FreeBMD show that the birth of a Margaret Shyne was registered in Bemondsey (part of London) in the last quarter of 1847. This is the ref: SHYNE, Margaret/ Dec Qtr 1847/ Bermondsey /Vol IV /p16.

I searched between September 1837 (start of civil registration) and December 1847 - and that was the only entry that came up. But as you realise, the informants might not have had accurate information - they just thought the lady was 'about 50'.

And, yes, women worked as governesses in continental Europe. The novelist Charlotte Bronte worked in Belgium in such a role in the 1840s and used her experience in her novel The Professor.

Hope this helps to kick-start your researches.

Swooping off.

Owl

Growing old Disgracefully

Looks like Margaret had a twin Sister

Births Dec 1847
    Ann Shyne, Bermondsey. Vol NO 4, Page No 16.
    Margaret Shyne, Bermondsey. Vol No, Page No 4 16.

Gro gives Mother's Maiden Name for both girls as HIGGINS also SAINT MARY MAGDALEN, BERMONDSEY, SURREY as the place of Reg.

If this is your lady she was admitted to the London workhouse on Date 15 Nov 1853 and discharge to her mother Ann
    Discharge Date 9 Nov 1858.

Reputation beyond repute

Ann Shyne was buried 3 May 1949 aged 16 months.

Margaret Shyne and her sister Catherine were admitted to the workhouse system (Bermondsey Union) in 1853 after having been deserted by their mother, Ann Shyne.

1851 Census has Ann Widow born Ireland with Alfred Born Ireland, and Catherine and Margaret born Surname Name Shine. in SAINT MARY MAGDALEN, BERMONDSEY,

Reputation beyond repute

Civil registration - death of a Richard Shyne in Bermondsey in 1849 - possibly Ann's husband and Margaret's father.

There are marriages recorded of a Margaret Shyne and a Catherine Shyne both citing the name of Richard Shyne, ship's steward, as father.

If all these entries relate to the Margaret Shyne born in Bermondsey in 1847, we can be pretty sure that this is not the woman who died in Poland in 1889.

thewideeyedowl

Default Margaret SHINE, b 1839

Good afternoon all...

So the background of Margaret Shyne isn't quite right - point taken. I have just tried FreeBMD for M* SHINE and, lo, this entry tops the list of eight registrations between September 1837 an December 1850:

SHINE, Margaret/June Qtr 1839/Bristol/Vol 11/p165

That would tally with the reported age at death in Poland in 1889.

I have no subs anywhere at the moment, but if someone could check out her family and background in the censuses 1851-1871, we might start to get somewhere. If she does seem to 'fit', then I can only suggest that she thought the 'Shyne' spelling of her name looked a bit better or classier.

Now to get on with what I should be doing...

Swooping off.

Owl

Settling in

1851 Census

Parish of Westminster St John the Evangelist, in Middlesex
    Elizabeth Shine, 45, head (widow)
    Francis Shine, 35, son ?? seems a bit old
    Emma Shine, 26, dau
    Margaret Shine, 12, dau, born Bristol

Also:

Baptism: 21 Apr 1839, Margarita Shine (born 9 Apr 1838), Parents Patricii Shine and Elizabeth Pittiwell. Baptism place: Clifton

Thank you all very much!

I do not know if "it's mine" Margaret Shyne but everything is possible

I am now looking for something about the owners of the Kurowice estate. Someone who exhibits a governesses's statue on a grave that has lasted 130 years and still looks good must have considered her important to the family. Therefore, perhaps the descendants of the owners may know something. Unless, of course, some are alive (after 1989 nobody has asked for a return of assets which was taken by the communists after II world war).

And I will look for something in the Warsaw dailies - first she had to go there.

It's possible that it was the Shine. Shyne is on the tombstone but in the act of death is "Schyne" in Polish and "Шайнь" in Russian. Well, the original last name could be "Shine"?

-
    Regards
    Jarosław Młynik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast