Default Help to identify regiment please

Can anybody kindly identify the regiment of this young officer from his collar badge please? I believe he received his commission in 1917 on being posted to France and was put in charge of a group of Chinese labourers force until the end of the war.

He previously served with “B” Company, Cameronians, 1/7th Battalion, Scottish Rifles, 156th Infantry Brigade, 52nd (Lowlands Division) at Gallipoli, where he was wounded.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    if you came to us from forces War records reading this will tell you why you came to our forums.
    Would you like to give us the soldier's name, date of birth, parents/wife (whatever you know about him) so we can try to locate him for you?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi and welcome.
    It looks like The Labour Corps badge, issued between January 1917 and October 1918 (at least as a cap badge). That would fit with the Chinese labourers. This type of badge was replaced by the "rifle, pick and shovel" seen later on as the Pioneer Corps badge.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Many thanks Christina. The soldier's name is John Wylie Anderson. He was my grandfather and although I know quite a lot about him from his later life, he understandably never liked to speak about his war time experiences. He was born 23/07/1891 in Partick, Glasgow, eldest son of William and Annabella. He enlisted 09/09/1914 in the 7th Scottish Rifles (No. 1829). In May 1915 he was sent with the battalion to Gallipoli, where he was wounded and returned on HMHS Dongola in July 1915. I understand that he served in France from 17 Nov 1917 to 3 Feb 1919 where he received his commission and was put in charge of Chinese labourers. He was billeted at a farmhouse outside Paris. Peter Nicholl (in this thread) has suggested the badge in the photo is the Labour Corps badge, which seems to make perfect sense.

Unfortunately, I don't know what my grandfather was doing between July 1915 and November 1917. Any suggestions or light you can shed will be most welcome.

Kind regards,

Jon Atkey

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Jon
    If you go to Find My Past ( a pay to view site) you can confirm that he was a 2nd Lieutenant in The Labour Corps. The National Archives has more information on him both as a 2nd Lieutenant in The Labour Corps and as a Private in the 7th Scottish Rifles.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Reputation beyond repute

Can anybody kindly identify the regiment of this young officer from his collar badge please?
    But the question you actually want answered is "in which regiment was John Wylie Anderson an officer?"

This is easily answered by simply typing his name into the National Archives catalogue.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C1161032

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Also, Peter has given you the link to his service records, which will tell you exactly what he was doing between those dates.
    They are not online, so you have to go there to photo them, or get a researcher to do it.

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.