Settling in

Default Children of George Bendle and Eliza Way

Hi,

George Bendle and Eliza Way were married in Tolpuddle in 1842. I have found one of their children, Elizabeth, baptised in Dorset in 1843.

Somewhere after 1843 George and Eliza emigrated to South Africa and the first South African baptism that I have found for them was in 1850.

I would like to determine the approximate date when George and Eliza left England. It would be of great help if I could have confirmation that there is no trace of them in English Birth records after 1843.

I know that they had a son, Charles, who was born between 1843 and 1849, but I'm not sure whether I should be searching in South Africa or UK for his birth record.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Johann

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Johann,

Searching Charles BENDLE born/baptised 1845 -/+ 5 years yields only three results:

Charles BENDLE born 1841 Carlisle Q3 Vol 25 Page 59
    Charles BENDLE born 1841 Shepton Mallet Q2 Vol 10 Page 415
    Charles BENDLE baptised 10th September 1848 East Tytherley to William & Sarah

There is a marriage for Charles BENDLE, aged 20, to Elizabeth Ellen CROSS on 3rd June 1868 in West Tytherley. Father's name William.

Searching baptisms for any BENDLE with parents George and Eliza brings up only the one you found for Elizabeth. Incidentally, I couldn't find a matching civil registration for Elizabeth.

There are records for Charles BENDAL and Charles BENDALL but none with the correct parents' names. There are six civil registrations in the name of Charles BENDALL between 1843 and 1849, none with mother's maiden name WAY.

Peter

Famous for offering help & advice

Elizabeth's 1843 birth is in the GRO index, volume 7 page 207 spelled BENDALL, mother's maiden name WAY. And its under "Stockbridge Union" which I think is Hampshire, not Dorset ?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Elizabeth's 1843 birth is in the GRO index, volume 7 page 207 spelled BENDALL, mother's maiden name WAY. And its under "Stockbridge Union" which I think is Hampshire, not Dorset ?
    Ah, thanks wimsey, well spotted. Now, why didn't I see that?!

Peter

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can't see any other children that look like the offspring of George Bendle and Eliza Way.

From 1837 onwards all births, marriages and deaths in England and Wales were supposed to be registered with the civil authorities, and whilst you can find these indexes on line with the commercial sites I would recommend that all use the General Register Office's site (UK Government), which is free, because it is the only one that allows to check the mother's maiden name in the birth index before 1911. The URL is:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You can also order certificates on line at the same site, without paying 3rd party charges, and for births and deaths, you can order a PDF version which is much cheaper, just £6 rather than £9.50.

Settling in

Hi Megan and Peter,

Thanks for the info. I have now also found the baptism records for their first three children that were born in South Africa. (Charles, Ann and Jane)
    The first being baptised in 1846, which means they emigrated somewhere between 1843 and 1846.

That is probably as close as I'll get in finding the date that they left English shores, but if you ever happen to stumble across a Passenger list with George and Eliza Bendle listed, I would love to know about it! :-)

Thanks again for all the help

Johann

Settling in

Hi Peter and Megan,

This is sort of still on the same topic i.e. determining if other family members of Eliza Bendle (born WAY) emigrated to South Africa with her or possibly before her.

She had two sisters that could fit this mould:

1. Anne Way - baptised 22 July 1821 in Burleston, Dorset
    2. Elizabeth Way - baptised 13 October 1822 in Burleston, Dorset

Parents: William and Ann WAY

I have done a search for their marriage records but without success. I also could not find them in the 1841 Census, which probably means that they were either married, dead or already emigrated. I have registered at GRO Online to try and search for children using the mother's maiden name, but unfortunately (unless I am doing it wrong) it seems like you need the child's surname to do the search. (which is probably obvious!)

Any help in determining what might have happened to Anne and Elizabeth WAY will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Johann

Famous for offering help & advice

there's an 1841 census - piece 282; book 1; folio 4; page 2 with a 19-year old Anne Way working at the Honehill (Hornhill ?) flax factory, Stoke Abbott, Dorset.

The first named people at the factory are a John (blacksmith) & Jane Way with 13-year-old (daughter I guess) Ann.

Horsehill ?

https://beaminstermuseum.files.wordp...ehill-mill.pdf