Default Prince of Wales Volunteer South Lancs

Anyone know of any WW1 records of this regiment? My grandfather, we think, was in it. We have tried many sources with no luck. His name was Ernest Walter Dean with a service number 43134. We do have a certificate with his medals and a picture. Any help would be much appreciated. He lived in Bridgwater Somerset. Thanks.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. If you came to us via FWR, this message HERE explains the relationship between them and BG.
    To answer your first question, the only regiment-specific records available are likely to be their War Diaries. These tend not to mention names, except in the case of officers (and often only senior officers) unless something very unusual happened. Unfortunately, over 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed in the fires of WW2.

I have found his medal index card. 43134 Pte Ernest W Dean of the S. Lancs Regt (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) is listed as having the Victory and British Medals, but not the 14 or 15 Star, which means that he did not reach the Front until 1916 at the earliest.
    I have looked for him in the Service and pension records and can't find him.
    Since he isn't listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site, I assume that he survived the war.

Reputation beyond repute

We have tried many sources with no luck
    Just go to the National Archives and follow their advice...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-after-1913/

I'm looking at the actual medal roll (on Ancestry) and it says he was in the 2/4th South Lancashire Regiment. Now you know his battalion, you can look for the war diaries in the National Archives catalogue. Like this...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...+Lancashire%22

According to the Long, Long Trail, the battalion - part of the territorial force - served in the UK until 16 Feb 1917 when they landed at Boulogne..

I don't know what the 1915-16 war diary in TNA catalogue was all about but it will no doubt become clear when you read them.

Are you saying that he probably was stationed in UK. His picture shows him in long overcoat, spurs on boots and a crop, obvious connection to horses. Any ideas. I have searched Ancestry and the South Lancashire Regiment sites, no mention of mounted troops.

Roger

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ballantiner View Post
    Are you saying that he probably was stationed in UK.
    Lesley says in post #2 that he wdidn't go abroad before 1916.
    And Peter says that the battalion were in the UK until February 1917.
    You need to read the battalion war diaries to find out exactly where they were and when.
    His picture shows him in long overcoat, spurs on boots and a crop, obvious connection to horses. Any ideas. I have searched Ancestry and the South Lancashire Regiment sites, no mention of mounted troops. Roger
    Ancestry are a genealogy site, and whilst they have military records about individuals they are not going to be in any way, shape, or form, useful for finding out anything about the British Army as an army.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”