Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I've been looking for the family in 1911 and cannot find Robert, Margaret or John and Thomas; I have maybe's for daughters' Ada, Maggie/Margaret and Florence, but not certainties. Do you know where they all were after 1901, seems odd that at least four are in hiding unless I've missed them, and if the girls I found are the correct ones they are live-in servants, Florence the youngest born circa 1897 is in London, a long way from home for a 15yr old (age on census). There is a Robert Stoker death in 1904 age 58 but it's in Durham, and Robert Stoker isn't an uncommon name in the area. And there were two John Emmerson Stoker's born within a yearof each other in Sunderland, 1886 and 1887, presume they are cousins!
    As I've repied above, I can't find Robert and Margaret in 1911 and I also can't pin down a death for Robert.

That John Emmerson Stoker is a family thing (Emmerson is a surname from previous generations) and does take some working thru. These 2 are cousins, but the name goes thru 3 generations of oldest sons.

Here's a nice newspaper article about one of them - I've only found 14 of the 21 children so far

Cheers, MTS

1891, Nottingham. RG12; Piece: 2692; Folio: 48; Page: 24
    Fred Stokes 28, born Sunderland. Maggie Stokes 23, Newcastle?? both listed as professional singers, married and boarders in Ann Surtees house.
    I cannot make out the word after children, can anyone help, please?

Alma

I cannot make out the word after children, can anyone help, please?

I took it as 'Unknown' for the Relation to Head of Family'.
    Also in the far right hand column it says 3L which I took to mean category '3) Lunatic'. Not come accross that before.

Cheers, MTS

There's many mentions of Fred Stokes, clog dancer, in newspapers The Era, and The Stage. .... as a variety artist he could be anywhere in the country.
    almach - brilliant find! thanks.
    A simple google of 'fred stokes clog dancer' gave this - https://insteprt.co.uk/world-clog-dan...w-london-1898/ - World Championships! including newsreel footage of the final.
    - Seems Fred won his heat (on the Monday) but didn't make the final. The newspaper links at the bottom are worth a look too for gripping step by step accounts.

A biographical note on the same site says -
    Stokes, Fred Clog dancer from Sunderland. Competed in the World Clog Championships in Bow, London 1898. Won his heat but was knocked out in the semi-finals. Untraced. Information from Era 22/1/1898, 12/2/1898.

Looks like another project in the offing now for his biography.

Cheers, MTS
    Last edited by emmteeyess; 09-02-2018 at 3:56 PM. Reason: biography notes added

I'm very pleased for you MTS. Always exciting when flesh can be put on the bones. Have fun researching Fred. Your link above is super, very informative, it's a dream find.

Now, if only we can find his marriage.
    Alma

I wonder if Fred/Thomas' wife's stage name was Maggie Ethlo, as a person of that name appears in many of the same productions as Fred Stokes.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post
    (Allowing for their stage names) - If Thomas died Feb 1900 then perhaps this Maggie is Margaret Isabella who went on to marry Robert too.
    I wonder if Fred/Thomas' wife's stage name was Maggie Ethlo, as a person of that name appears in many of the same productions as Fred Stokes.
    I got carried away loooking up Fred Stokes and his career and learning about clog dancing and victorian musichall acts. There ARE lots of mentions in the Era, and he seems to have played nationwide.
    Maggie Ethlo and sometimes a Maggie Francis is mentioned a lot too.
    Passing on my finds to some of my cousins prompted one to reply that she'd looked at Thomas some years ago and found a marriage for him and a Margaret Kaglow (on FreeBMD for Mar 1885 in Lincoln)

Looks too complicated a trail of names for her be Robert's 2nd wife, but still fascinating.

As I've said before - now got 2 trails to follow up.

Cheers, MTS

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post
    I got carried away loooking up Fred Stokes and his career and learning about clog dancing and victorian musichall acts. There ARE lots of mentions in the Era, and he seems to have played nationwide.
    Maggie Ethlo and sometimes a Maggie Francis is mentioned a lot too.
    Passing on my finds to some of my cousins prompted one to reply that she'd looked at Thomas some years ago and found a marriage for him and a Margaret Kaglow (on FreeBMD for Mar 1885 in Lincoln)

Looks too complicated a trail of names for her be Robert's 2nd wife, but still fascinating.

As I've said before - now got 2 trails to follow up.

Cheers, MTS
    Hi MTS, I suspect KAGLOW is a mistranscription and is probably KAYLOW. FreeBMD have only one Kaglow and that's the marriage of Margaret to Thomas Stoker, there's a few Kaylow's and the name seems to have its origins in Ireland.

Family Search has a transcript of the marriage.
    Thomas Stoker/Margaret Kaylow, 30 Mar 1885, St Swithen, Lincoln, Lincoln, England
    Father's Name: John Emmerson Stoker
    Spouse's Father's Name: Hugh Mullen Kaylow
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi MTS, I suspect KAGLOW is a mistranscription and is probably KAYLOW. FreeBMD have only one Kaglow and that's the marriage of Margaret to Thomas Stoker, there's a few Kaylow's and the name seems to have its origins in Ireland.

Thomas Stoker/Margaret Kaylow, 30 Mar 1885, St Swithen, Lincoln, Lincoln, England
    I know you haven't got a current sub to FMP, so you might have to see if either the library have access to it or else indulge in a few credits (though you can take out a monthly sub).

Copy of PR entry on FMP.
    Search, then from dropdown menu click on A-Z record sets.
    Type Lincolnshire, and at bottom of results list select Parish registers browse.
    Type year, marriages, parish is Lincoln St Swithin (two i's, not an i and an e).
    Then choose page 155 of 262, press go.

Margaret's surname is clearly spelt Kaylow, and her signature is clear too.
    Thomas's occupation is comedian.

I've put postems on FreeBMD re the incorrect spelling of Maragaret's name. (I do like my postems. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

In fairness to my cousin she did 'seem to remember' the details as Kaylow as you've quoted! It was me who found the Kaglow entry.
    The FS transcription clinches it tho with John Emmerson Stoker popping up as the groom's father.

I do occasionaly take out a month's sub to FMP when I get a few leads. This will be one of them now.

Cheers, MTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast