Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    LAING, MARGARET DUNBAR, Mother's maiden name PEACOCK
    GRO Reference: 1868 M Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 522

Margaret and Sophia in 1871 with siblings and parents Theresa and James, however James is entered as shipbuilder, not brushmaker. On Ancestry they're indexed as SANG, FMP have them correctly as LAING.
    RG10; Piece: 5006; Folio: 23; Page: 40

1881 - RG11; Piece: 4993; Folio: 127; Page: 58;
    Looking at these census entries - this is the famous Sir James Laing of Sir James Laing and Son shipyards, living in Thornhill Hall.
    Margaret would have married beneath herself if she married into my family! Possible but unlikely.

Cheers, MTS

Looks like I'm getting there -

We've found Thomas Stoker m Margaret Kaylow 30/03/1885
    Their stage names were Fred Stokes and Maggie Ethlo

The Era published the death of Maggie Ethlo -
    ETHLO at Nottingham on May 15th 1897 - Maggie Ethlo (wife of Fred Stokes) age 23 yrs - serio + dancer - suddenly of pneumonia RIP

But newspaper reports of Thomas's death Feb 1900 said 'mourned by wife' so he must have married again between May 1897 and 1900

FreeBMD and FS have
    Thomas Stoker m Margaret Isabella Walker - at Bradford - v.95 p.308

Thomas dies Feb 1900

Then back where we started #1 - Robert Stoker m Margaret Isabella Stoker 9 Mar 1901

All I need to do now is show Margaret Isabella Walker is dau of James Dunbar (without buying the cert cos they're not that close relatives to warrent the ££)

Cheers, MTS

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post
    FreeBMD and FS have
    Thomas Stoker m Margaret Isabella Walker - at Bradford - v.95 p.308
    Thomas dies Feb 1900
    Then back where we started #1 - Robert Stoker m Margaret Isabella Stoker 9 Mar 1901
    All I need to do now is show Margaret Isabella Walker is dau of James Dunbar (without buying the cert cos they're not that close relatives to warrent the ££)
    Result! - I couldn't let this lie just for the price of a certificate - which came today having battled thru the weather conditions -

Marriage at Bradford Register Office 30 June 1898
    Thomas Stoker - 34yrs - Widower - Comedian - (Bradford address) - (Father) John Emmerson Stoker - (deceased) - Chain Maker
    m
    Margaret Isabella Walker - 33yrs - Widow - Vocalist - (same address) - (Father) James Dunbar (deceased) - Brush Maker

SO YES, same father for Margaret Isabella and so she then married Thomas's brother Robert 3yrs later. As outlined in post #1

Glad that's settled, and thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers, MTS

Thank you for the update, MTS. A great result
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post
    m
    Margaret Isabella Walker - 33yrs - Widow - Vocalist - (same address) - (Father) James Dunbar (deceased) - Brush Maker
    Seeing as Margaret Isabella Walker is a vocalist by profession I thought I'd see if I could find her in the entertainment press.

The only ref I found was in a Nottingham Bigamy Case! reported in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Saturday 5th Dec 1896
    Seems a 'Daniel Ward ... was indicted for feloniously marrying Margaret Isabella Walker ... his wife being then alive ... .... In 1895 the prisoner met a music hall singer named Walker ... On 28th March last he went through the ceremony of marriage with her...'

He was found guilty and sentenced to 15months imprisonment with hard labour - and presumably she went back to being Walker as the marriage was void.

Guess this story is not over till the fat lady sings -

Cheers, MTS

You're on a roll, MTS This proves how one little hint can unravel so much.
    Alma

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234