Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've been looking for the family in 1911 and cannot find Robert, Margaret or John and Thomas; I have maybe's for daughters' Ada, Maggie/Margaret and Florence, but not certainties. Do you know where they all were after 1901, seems odd that at least four are in hiding unless I've missed them, and if the girls I found are the correct ones they are live-in servants, Florence the youngest born circa 1897 is in London, a long way from home for a 15yr old (age on census). There is a Robert Stoker death in 1904 age 58 but it's in Durham, and Robert Stoker isn't an uncommon name in the area. And there were two John Emmerson Stoker's born within a yearof each other in Sunderland, 1886 and 1887, presume they are cousins!
    Alma

Not what you've asked for MTS but wondered if you've seen this.

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 20 Feb 1900

Deaths.
    Stoker at Stoke - on - Trent on the 18th inst; Thomas Stoker (better known as Fred Stokes, champion clog dancer), the beloved brother of Mr Robert Stoker of 15, Willmore St.
    Alma

There's many mentions of Fred Stokes, clog dancer, in newspapers The Era, and The Stage. As yet I've not pinned him down in 1891 but as a variety artist he could be anywhere in the country.
    Alma

1891, Nottingham. RG12; Piece: 2692; Folio: 48; Page: 24
    Fred Stokes 28, born Sunderland. Maggie Stokes 23, Newcastle?? both listed as professional singers, married and boarders in Ann Surtees house.
    Alma

Marriages Sept 1891, Glendale vol 10b page 619
    Alfred Stokes/Margaret DUNBAR Laing

Also on the same page Sophia Talbot Laing and Percival Charles du Sautoy Leather

Looking like Robert married Thomas' widow. And, perhaps Margaret and Sophia are sisters.
    Alma

LAING, MARGARET DUNBAR, Mother's maiden name PEACOCK
    GRO Reference: 1868 M Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 522

Margaret and Sophia in 1871 with siblings and parents Theresa and James, however James is entered as shipbuilder, not brushmaker. On Ancestry they're indexed as SANG, FMP have them correctly as LAING.
    RG10; Piece: 5006; Folio: 23; Page: 40

1881 - RG11; Piece: 4993; Folio: 127; Page: 58;
    Alma

Courtesy of Ancestry's ' England & Wales, National Probate Calendar'
    Margaret Dunbar Stokes of Highland Lodge Nursing Home, Carew Road, Eastbourne, widow, died 12 Sept 1957
    Confirmation of Gwendolen Theresa Laing or Drummond, and Paul du Sautoy Leather, stockbroker, sealed 19 Dec 1957, Registry: London, England
    Alma

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Marriages Sept 1891, Glendale vol 10b page 619
    Alfred Stokes/Margaret DUNBAR Laing

Also on the same page Sophia Talbot Laing and Percival Charles du Sautoy Leather

Looking like Robert married Thomas' widow. And, perhaps Margaret and Sophia are sisters.
    Aggh!!! Just when I thought it was sorted I find another Alfred and Margaret Stokes

1911, The Priory, Beech Hill, Reading. RG14; Piece: 6545; Schedule Number: 5
    George Laing 44, farmer, Sunderland
    Annie Laing 48, wife, Sussex
    Cicely Laing 14, dau, Northumberland, Ford
    Kate Humfreys Jones 28, boarder
    Lilias Cowan 15, niece
    Kate Love 30, servant
    Mary Marks 28, servant
    Ada Wildgoss 24, servant
    Ada Hews 20, servant
    Annie West 17, servant
    Alfred Stokes 50, visitor, married, Colonel Royal Artillery, Galatz? Rumania, British Subject
    Margaret Stokes 43, married 19yrs, Sunderland.

1901 Alfred and Margaret RG13; Piece 564; Folio 10; Page 11.

Back to the drawing board to find who Margaret Dunbar is!
    Alma

The Era 03 March 1900
    Stoker Feb 18. At Spring Cottage, Bucknall, Stoke on Trent Thomas Stoker, professionally known as Fred Stokes, clog dancer (late Handford and Stokes) aged 35yrs. Interred Feb 21st. Mourned by his wife.
    Alma

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Not what you've asked for MTS but wondered if you've seen this.

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 20 Feb 1900

Deaths.
    Stoker at Stoke - on - Trent on the 18th inst; Thomas Stoker (better known as Fred Stokes, champion clog dancer), the beloved brother of Mr Robert Stoker of 15, Willmore St.
    There's many mentions of Fred Stokes, clog dancer, in newspapers The Era, and The Stage. As yet I've not pinned him down in 1891 but as a variety artist he could be anywhere in the country.
    Well! - that's something I never knew!
    I've got Thomas b1860 and at home in the '61 '71 '81 censuses. He's a professional musician in 1881

1891, Nottingham. RG12; Piece: 2692; Folio: 48; Page: 24

Fred Stokes 28, born Sunderland. Maggie Stokes 23, Newcastle?? both listed as professional singers, married and boarders in Ann Surtees house.
    (Allowing for their stage names) - If Thomas died Feb 1900 then perhaps this Maggie is Margaret Isabella who went on to marry Robert too.

I've not found Robert and Margaret in 1911 either, but I've seen Florence May and Maggie mentioned in the index for the National School Admission Register in 1902 (not got a current FMP sub tho)

Lots more to look up now - thanks all

Cheers, MTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast