Thread: Family Tree

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Family Tree

Hi, I'm new on here and need some advice, My friend has done my family tree for me, I'ts her hobby and loves doing them, How can she transfer the tree from her computer to mine, any advice would be appreciated , thanks you.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Does your friend have your family tree in a family tree program on her computer or has she done it in a word processor or excel form?
    If in a family tree program you need to download a program on to your computer. There are free ones such as Rootsmagic Essentials. use a search engine and enter free family tree software but be careful some are only free for a demo period.
    When you have a software program on your computer (it doesn't have to be the same one as your friend's) get her to download a gedcom file from the tree to her computer then she can send it to you by email or she can download it to a USB stick and give it to you to upload to your computer.
    You could also use the free version of Tribal Pages where your friend uploads the gedcom file to Tribal Pages on her computer. She then invites you to be an administrator on the program which you can access from your computer. You can then leave it as is and you can both add information and work on the tree, or download a gedcom file from it to a free program you have installed on your computer.
    Others will have more ideas I'm sure.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Hi, Welcome to Brit-Gen.

First question, Are you using the same genealogy programme? If so the answer is easy. She can put it on a cd/Dvd or onto a flash/USB drive in that programmes standard file format and you simply transfer it from that.
    If you are using different software then she needs to save it as a GEDCOM file in the same way and you download that. Unfortunately any pictures she may have included in the tree will be lost. GEDCOM does not transfer them. However if she includes them seperately in a media file you should be able to attach them to the appropriate records individually or possibly automatically, it will depend on the software you are using. How easy connecting them manually will depend on whether she has renamed them with names you will easily recognise belong to a particular person/record.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default family Tree,

First of all thank you both for the quick reply, Unfortunately only my friend has a subscription with a genealogy site, I have heard of Ged Com but not sure what it entails,

GEDCOM is a simplified form of genealogy programme which can be read and written by (nearly) all modern genealogy software. This lets someone with programme A generate a GEDCOM file to send family tree data to someone with programme B. Prog B will be able to read it. The same sort of idea as txt or rtf files for transferring documents between text editors.

It sounds as though you don't have any genealogy software? Is your friend just trying to give you a copy to read? The easiest way then would be for her to prepare the tree on screen and then ask the program to save it to a pdf or text file which can then read in your text editor.

If you do have genealogy software, have a look on the dropdown menu under "file". You should find GEDCOM under "save as".

Be careful with GEDCOMs. If someone sends you one, only add them to your file if you know the person who did the research. If it's a stranger (eg a possible relative), load it into a separate file so that you can read it and check it - that's easier than having to delete it later if you discover that the connections don't work... Equally, only send them to people you know - some people just load the things into their own trees without checking that the connections are right. And don't send your whole file, just the relevant bit.

I suspect from your answer in post#4 that your friend is using the tree building facility of an internet research site like Ancestry or Find My Past.
    I suggest that tyou follow Christanel's advice and get yourself a genealogy program and then ask your friend to email the tree to you.

I have no idea if this is possible with the sites I mentioned.
    The alternative is to ask your friend to print off a copy.

Sorry not to be more helpful
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

A fountain of knowledge

If your friend is using one of the sites mentiond in post #6 by Ladkyis she should be able to invite you to be a member specifically to view that tree. It should not cost you anything. I believe you automatically get a free membership upon invitation, however I cannot categorically confirm this as it is so long since I used those sites they may have changed. You only have to pay a suscription if you wish to access their research archives.

If anybody knows differently please advise.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default family Tree,

Thank you all again, I think we both should sit down and decide the best coarse of action.