Thread: McLeod

Default McLeod

My GG Grandfather was in the Regiment of fencibles, 1815 served with the 69th Regt. (Royal Highland Emigrants..in American war...
    The document is online...How do I get the original document when he signed up to the army...hoping it will have personal info,. regarding his parents names.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    To try and help you with your request, where online did you find the document you would like access to?
    We may be able to help further if you can give us his full name, wife's name, any children, everything you know about him
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi...I received document off of Forces War Records.. Info.. William McLeod b 1796 d abt 1856 From creich Scotland
    Wife; Ann mclean B 1805 Ross of mull.
    William and Ann married 1825 Kilfincheon and Kilveckeon
    Children: Mary b 1828 ,
    Norman b 1826
    Hector b1831
    Alexander b 1833
    John b 1836
    Donald b 1839
    William was in the Napoleonic war 1815 w/ 69th regiment fencibles No. 9 Coy.
    William was only 18- 19 years of age..I am wanting documents to verify his parents names when he was enlisted in the army.Thankyou
    Dawna

Hi
    Have you purchased their marriage record from ScotlandsPeople? It is pay per view but it may give you the information you are after. I did have a bit of trouble making it show up in the results and only succeeded when I entered William m*cl*d (with wildcards accepted in the search options) and the dates 1820 to 1830.
    I can see the family on the 1841 census but not on the 1851 as yet.
    How do you know the record on FWR is your man? Did you find his occupation on one or more of the children's birth/baptism records?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Service records for this period do not give family details on them.
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Hi...I have the marriage licence from scotlands people. site...No mention of parents,.I dont know if you belong to
    Mullfamilies Free site https://www.mullfamilies.co.uk/index.php and you put in my family ID 118692 William Mcleod ancestory will come up. I am still adding family to the site...I was told my mull researcher that Williams parents were John McLeod and Catherine McGilvray, they have him down that his 2 brothers are Angus and Neil, I traced Angus McLeod birth record back with his parents on it only( John and Catherine). but I still have to verif that William is related to them..I have found not even his birth with there name on it. William just served when he was young in the Napoleonic war, I am thinking maybe just a year or two. Just guessing....I know from my Grandfather he served in the war in Scotland also the geneaolgy people Mull have recorded he was in the 1815 69th regiment. I know his occupation on the census is agricultural Laborer. He is on 1851 census as he passed away abt 1856 in scotland Thanks I just am trying to dig as deep as I can to get the info. Dawna