Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default reporting a marriage index error

There seems to be an error in "England & Wales marriages 1837-2005" and I wonder how I can report it. The online GRO Index doesn't seem to give me an option of reporting marriage index errors.

I know for a fact that Elizabeth PEARCE married Henry Adams NEWTON in Amersham district 1st quarter 1903. For Henry in the index I get volume 3A page 942 (but no mention of Elizabeth) and for Elizabeth I get volume 3A page 943 (marrying an Arthur Wingfield). Of course I don't know which of these numbers should be the "correct" one.

What can I do about this please ?

On FreeBMD you click on the 'spectacles' to the right of the names and on the next page under the marriage details it says 'If you have a correction to this entry, please click here.'
    You can also view the typewritten image from which it was transcribed.
    Also you can leave a postem note with relevant information for that entry
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

thank you very much for that Christina.

I guess the postem is my only option there, because there is no error in the transcription - the error is in the original index in the numbering. Either Henry should be 943 or Elizabeth should be 942 - either way, they should have the same number.

A "postem" note appears to be your only option, wimsey.

Henry Newton's page shows that his entry has been altered (by hand) and is annotated at the bottom (942A).
    Elizabeth's entry is clearly 943.
    So the error occurred many moons ago.

GRO can't alter the original - that would lead to all sorts of Orwellian events!
    All you can do is leave a message for future researchers.

Jane

thanks fullscott.

In terms of ordering a marriage certificate (if I ever chose to do so) - I assume GRO would have no problem actually finding this marriage, despite the numbering mistake ?

Ancestry seems to allow me to suggest a different volume and page number under "add alternative information". If someone was using Ancestry to research the Newton family and didn't know who Henry married - I wonder if I suggested page 943 as an alternative whether that would help or confuse them !?!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate, or at the very least can tell the GRO where Henry and Elizabeth married? Only asking because it's easier if you can provide proof that something has been indexed incorrectly.
    I suspect that you haven't, in which case page 942(a) refers to Seer Green Holy Trinity, and page 943 is a church which is listed between Seer Green Holy Trinity and Gerrards Cross St James. Info courtesy of https://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/
    I would think that it is Seer Green Holy Trinity, because there are no other brides and/or grooms on page 942(a) whereas there's another couple on page 943.

Write/email the GRO and explain what you've found. They can't do anything to amend the Index already published on sites such as FMP and Ancestry, but they can correct their own index.

You might like to add another postem to Henry's postems explaining that you had a senior moment and that Elizabeth's page number is showing as 943 - you've typed 243. (Been there, done that, got at least of couple of T-shirts, myself. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You might like to add another postem to Henry's postems explaining that you had a senior moment and that Elizabeth's page number is showing as 943 - you've typed 243. (Been there, done that, got at least of couple of T-shirts, myself. )

Pam

<doh> what an idiot !!

Thanks for information on the marriage location.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    thanks fullscott.

In terms of ordering a marriage certificate (if I ever chose to do so) - I assume GRO would have no problem actually finding this marriage, despite the numbering mistake ?
    Order using Henry's name and number. Alternatively use both names, and just the registration district, no page numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Ancestry seems to allow me to suggest a different volume and page number under "add alternative information". If someone was using Ancestry to research the Newton family and didn't know who Henry married - I wonder if I suggested page 943 as an alternative whether that would help or confuse them !?!
    Depending on how many words Ancestry allow, just say that you believe Henry married Elizabeth Pearce who is incorrectly indexed on volume 3a page 943. By referring to the census, children's birth's certificates, etc, they should have worked/found out for themselves that Henry married an Elizabeth (Pearce).

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

mistake - I've forgotten how to delete a post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast