Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    #15 - yes I have tried newspapers without success (there's plenty about Henry's funeral in 1933 though)

forgive my dimness - when you said that 942A locates to Holy Trinity, Seer Green, would that mean Holy Trinity church itself or the parish of Holy Trinity - which might happen to contain a baptist chapel (if you see what I mean)

on this page

https://shop.buckscc.gov.uk/s4s/Wher...6-b480f7423e14

it looks as if one can check if an entry is in a particular register or not (if I've understood correctly). Unfortunately it requires Microsoft Excell to view.
    Seer Green Holy Trinity itself.
    On the other hand, the marriage locator website might be in error as there are quite a lot of pages where it says 'can't locate the church for this marriage'.

If you look on FreeBMD for marriages in Amersham registration district for March quarter 1903 there are not a lot. Admittedly, FreeBMD is not yet complete.but there's a total of 26 men listed and 26 women. There are also, except for 942 and 943, an even number of men and women on each of the page numbers, so I would think it's fairly safe to say that the district is complete for that quarter.
    You now need to read https://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/principles.html
    I can't remember in which order non-conformist churches/chapels and the Register Office appear in the GRO Index - I think the Register Office is last, but I'm not sure and at the moment I can't access the site where I know the information is available. But the CofE churches are all listed first.

If you do purchase the certificate (or get any info from the GRO ) then can you please either send a message to the Guild of One-Name Studies (who are the brains behind the marriage locator site), or else let me know because I know a member of GOONS.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

many many thanks for all your time and explanations

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    If you do purchase the certificate (or get any info from the GRO ) then can you please either send a message to the Guild of One-Name Studies (who are the brains behind the marriage locator site), or else let me know because I know a member of GOONS.

Pam
    In the end I did purchase the certificate and it shows the marriage location as the Baptist Chapel at Lee Common, Amersham district, Buckinghamshire. I haven't told anyone at the Guild.

Thanks.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks for the update, wimsey.
    I've decided to send the details direct to GOONS.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by fullscott View Post
    A "postem" note appears to be your only option, wimsey.

Henry Newton's page shows that his entry has been altered (by hand) and is annotated at the bottom (942A).
    Elizabeth's entry is clearly 943.
    So the error occurred many moons ago.

GRO can't alter the original - that would lead to all sorts of Orwellian events!
    All you can do is leave a message for future researchers.

Jane
    The GRO has altered their index many times over the years and is still doing so.
    The original parchment index is a handwritten index stored at Southport but is rarely consulted these days and is acknowledged to contain hundreds or errors and many omissions. In addition there are many copies and augmented editions some handwritten and some typed.
    Write to GRO, Southport with your corrections and if they have time (or can be bothered) they may amend their index but do not hold your breath.
    Incidentally FreeBMD also contains many errors and omissions as it is based on the error and omission based GRO index, which they, unfortunately have to consider as an accurate index.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123