Thread: Mary Walpole

Starting to feel at home

Default Mary Walpole

I have a Mary Walpole who was a witness at the Marriage of John Walpole and Frances Basey. The marriage was on the 24th January 1824 in the Village of East Tuddenham. I have been unable to find any Mary Walpole in Norfolk who would have been alive in 1824. Would appreciate any help in finding Mary

Do you have an approximate age for John, or his parents names?

There's these baptisms and if the right John, Mary Walpole, the witness, was perhaps his sister.

John Walpole, born 29 Dec 1794. Baptised 22 Feb 1795 at Norwich Old Meeting (independent) son of Robert and Ann

Other children baptised same place and with same parents names

Mary Walpole born 8 Apr 1797, baptised 12 Nov 1797
    Thoms [Thomas] Lombe Walpole born 26 Apr 1800, baptised 4 Jan 1801
    George Walpole born 26 Feb 1790, baptised 25 Apr 1790
    Alma

If this is the John and Frances you are researching then the above at #2 cannot be him. Please tell us all you know about John. Is it possible that John below on the 1841 census is the father of Frances' husband, John?

1841, East Tuddenham. HO107; Piece: 780; Book: 14; Folio: 6; Page: 5
    John Walpole 65
    Frances Walpole 35
    James Walpole 10
    John Walpole 11
    Alma

janbooth

John was a widower when he married Frances BASEY according to the parish register image on Family Search, so I suppose he could have been somewhat older than Frances. Burial at East Tuddenham on 3 March 1850 for a John WALPOLE of Hockering, aged 82, Hockering being where widow Frances WALPOLE is living in the 1851 census. Therefore John WALPOLE would have been born c1768 if his burial record is correct.

You might like to consider the baptisms at Ling/Lyng, Norfolk, which is pretty close to Hockering, of a Mary WALPOLE on 25 June 1780, parents John & Hannah WALPOLE, and of a John WALPOLE on 13 October 1771 to a John & Hannah WALPOLE. Several other children also baptised at Lyng to the same couple.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Hi Janet, you have the right family. John and Hannah were my gggg grand parents. The John Walpole born1771 was my ggg granddad. As for his sister called Mary, she was married to a James Bond before 1824, so could not have been a witness. My research has not shown any Mary Walpole who could have been the witness. I intend to have a look at family search this afternoon and check the copies of the parish records page by page. Thanks again for your interest in my search.

janbooth

Good luck. Let us know if we can help further.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Still no luck with finding Mary. Have started to look for any Mary that may have married a male Walpole.