nichbuket

Default James Hanney born abt 1785 middlesex??

Hello All,

I am hoping you will be able to assist me in tracking down the origins of James Hanney born about 1785--based off his burial register.

James married Ann Castle in July 1809 St Mary Islington under the last name logged as Henney but signed Hanney (and all subsequent records list as Hanney). Together they had 6 children and lived in Clerkenwell. James died at the end of May 1834 and was buried 1 Apr 1834 at St James, Clerkenwell.

We believe that James had a brother John Hanney who according to the 1841 census was born about 1782 in Middlesex. He too lived in Clerkenwell most of his life, but the census has him at St Mary Islington East.

We have tried for years looking for a birth for James and then John Hanney/Henney/Hannay in middlesex or even surrounding areas but have had no luck. The closest we've been able to come are a John Henney born to John in 1781 SAINT MICHAEL,LICHFIELD,STAFFORD,ENGLAND and James Henney baptized to John and Mary 1789 HINTS,STAFFORD,ENGLAND (only 14 minutes away). We think that that specific james can be found later in Leicestershire, England and so we are back at the beginning.

Any help/advice in tracing James' birth/baptism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nich

Reputation beyond repute

James married Ann Castle in July 1809 St Mary Islington
    I notice that the marriage was by licence. It's always worth following that up.

nichbuket

Thank you. We haven't been able to track down the actual license yet just the parish register stating it was by license.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by nichbuket View Post
    . . . We haven't been able to track down the actual license yet . . .
    It is unlikely you will find the actual licence, these were handed to the groom who handed it to the Vicar. What happened to it after that is anyone's guess. However, all is not lost as the Archdiocese issuing the licence should have a record of the Marriage Licence Bond or Allegation. More info on this site:- https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/mar...ce-records/34/

Reputation beyond repute

When we talk about marriage licence records we mean the allegation and bond which would be retained by the licence issuing authority (the licence itself was a throwaway document). There were several licence issuing authorities.

See https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thin...ce-records.pdf

The data on an allegation and bond varies a lot. It may be genealogically useless, it may be incredibly useful.

nichbuket

Thank you. I have been in contact with the society of genealogists to see if they hold the actual allegation or just the bond...I'm just waiting for a response.

nichbuket

The Allegation came in the post today, finally, and unfortunately it didn't tell us anything new. James was about 25, a bachelor and living in St Mary of Islington, Middlesex, while Ann was 21, spinster and living in the same parish. I had so hoped for more. Thanks for the idea.