harleyallison

Question DNA Shared Surnames on A*******

Does any one know how reliable a source the direct surnames that appear in both trees in shared surnames are ?
    Thank you for your help.
    Allison

Growing old Disgracefully

Not had my DNA test but so can't comment. All my trees on Ancestry are Private.

But do know that you can get a good connection from other's.

A cousin no one in the family knew about had her DNA test in Australia has contacted a Cousin's Daughter, Megan that had her DNA done who has the same Family members as me in her tree I helped her, and Ancestry put her in touch with Megan who told her to contact me. Yes we are connected our Grandmothers where Sister's. Very sad story connected to this second cousin dad who was sent to Australia as a 8 year old boy after his mother married and had other children and went to live in Canada.

But always check for your self if you are talking about Hits that ancestry are giving you to your names.
    We just help a member sort his tree out. Others who had hits with the same names as he shared with us had mixed 2 family's together.

harleyallison

No it is not the hints in the family trees, which I find pretty good. It is the direct surnames that appear in both trees that come up in DNA cousin matches.
    I do not think that I have much confidence in them I don't know why but am wondering what other people think who have had their DNA done.

Settling in

Those surname matches helped me determine who were my adopted father’s biological parents.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have a look at the links to the Lost Cousins newsletters given in posts 4, 5, and 6 in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-this-DNA-test

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

harleyallison

Thank you, that's very interesting to know. I am learning dna slowly