Default John McLauchlan Banbridge, Ireland

Trying to trace the death of John McLauchlan / McLaughlin / McLaughlan (post1950) (born Glasgow 10th Sept 1875) he was in an area called Ballygowan 3 miles from Banbridge, Ireland, 1950ish (not the other Ballygowan 35miles away) – had married a Catherine Fitzpatrick 21 November1923. Catherine died a widow 6th April 1964.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I searched the GRONI death indexes 1950-1964. There was only 1 John McL…death in Banbridge registration district in that period. He was John McLoughlin who died 27.9.1960, aged 68. You can view the original certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 to a view a certificate.

I searched the PRONI wills indexes for a probate file for John McLxxx deceased 1950-64 in Ballygowan but did not find one.
    ELWYN

Many thanks for looking - I’m baffled- what I now have is -Catherine Fitzpatrick family (father Bernard, stated on marriage cert) married John McLaughlin circa 21st Sept 1923 - Loughbrickland - Catherine died 6th April 1964 (widow) aged 80yo at Drumhork, Gilford (Banbridge?), with niece Mary B Fitzpatrick present (55 Newry Street, Banbridge). John's death a mystery (b: 10th Sept 1875 - Glasgow) - he would be my great-uncle

Knowledgeable and helpful

Drumhorc certainly falls within the Banbridge registration district. Possibly John died elsewhere. Scotland perhaps, or the Republic of Ireland? You could get someone to go to PRONI and search the VAL/3 land revaluation records to see who the owner/tenant of the property in Drumhorc was. If it was in Catherine’s name, it might indicate John wasn’t living there. Or it might indicate when he died. Sometimes they say “reps of John X” indicating the person had just died.

The revaluation records are like the Scottish Valuation Rolls but they are only on-line until 1929. After that you need to go to PRONI and look them up in person (or get someone else to do it for you). The post 1929 records are still in paper format.
    ELWYN

Many thanks for this - I do intend to get across to Ireland