+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home
    Thanks

Default Rose family - Halstead and Hastings

Henry Rose and his wife, Ellen (née ?) lived at 63 St Helen's Rd, Hastings with their daughters at the beginning of 20C. Henry was a prosperous grocer. One daughter, Laura Sophia, married George Ockenden of Bexhill. Two of Henry's unmarried daughters continued living in St Helen's Road until c.1952.

While I maintain an interest in the Ockenden side, I do not have the time or energy to delve into the Rose family history. Alas I do not remember the maiden name of Ellen. Can anyone on this forum perhaps tell us? This information may trigger a better response.

Anyway, I have two old pictures of Ellen's ancestors from my late father, Stuart Ockenden. I would love them to go to someone who is researching the Rose family. Is anyone interested?

OB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OckBexhill For This Useful Post:

christanel (27-01-2018)

Knowledgeable and helpful
    Thanks

Ellen EDWARDS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wimsey For This Useful Post:

christanel (27-01-2018)

Starting to feel at home
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Ellen EDWARDS
    That's very helpful because I guess the Edwards' line may have more interest. BTW, I have a print-out from the 1911 census, which shows them at 21 Queens Road, Hastings. This would have been the grocery shop. Their ages were HR 70; ER 69. There were also three daughters present: Lily, 34; Marion 31, Eleanor 29. I remember all three very well. The first two remained spinsters but Eleanor, my Aunt 'Judy', married Walter Slocombe, another grocer. Funnily enough, I came across George Ockenden and Walter Slocombe both then apprentices and living about another grocery shop in Eastbourne. I can't remember which census now but I don't think that they then know that there would later be a inter-family marriage.
    OB

Starting to feel at home
    Thanks

I have just come across several more trees of the Rose family. These would have been drawn in the 1950s by my great-aunt Lily ("Bill") and one goes back to an Elizabeth Rose 1687-1783. Towns mentioned include Sevenoaks, Sandwich and of course Hastings. There are also papers relating to the Dines family and the Claydon family. Perhaps I can donate them to the Society of Genealogists. Can someone pse advise?
    OB

+ Reply to Thread