Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Hi Sarah and Abraham Duque were 'Vindos de Portugal' refugees from the resurgent Inquisition in the 1720s. they remarried at Bevis Marks under Jewish law on the 29th Ab 5479 (1729)

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevininlondon View Post
    Hi Sarah and Abraham Duque were 'Vindos de Portugal' refugees from the resurgent Inquisition in the 1720s. they remarried at Bevis Marks under Jewish law on the 29th Ab 5479 (1729)

Kevin
    Dear Kevin

Thanks for your input.
    Is there a way to find out if the marriage documents can be obtained from 1729?
    Thanks and have a nice evening,Paul from the Hague

Yes Paul you can contact the archivist Miriam at Bevis Marks and hopefully she will give permission to the London Metropolitan Archives to send you a copy .. its great to see that because you see the signatures... I posted one recently from 1710..

Miriam Rodrigues-Pereira
    Hon. Archivist S&P Sephardi Community of London
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by kevininlondon View Post
    Yes Paul you can contact the archivist Miriam at Bevis Marks and hopefully she will give permission to the London Metropolitan Archives to send you a copy .. its great to see that because you see the signatures... I posted one recently from 1710..

Miriam Rodrigues-Pereira
    Hon. Archivist S&P Sephardi Community of London
    [email protected]
    Dear Kevin

Wow,looks amazing that document so will send her a mail post haste and keep you in the loop.
    Have a great evening,greetings from the Hague,Paul

But Amsterdam is even better as the archives have been digitised.. ok for us non dutch speakers its not so easy but the Sephardi/ portuguese records are great whereas the Ashkenazi ones are interesting to say the least.. also the Dutch ones have banns which also give more info... for others I am attaching the Ketuba of Abraham Tubi and Abigail Nunes 1697 Amsterdam because the Banns could be witnessed by women we know her grandmother was Gracia de Crasto Their daughter Benvenida became the Matriarch of the Mendoza family in London.

Default fao Kevininlondon:Due family

Dear Kevin,had contact with this woman and she directed me to someone who can give me the copy
    of the marriage document.So that worked,so thanks very much for your input and data.
    Now for another challenge:they remaried in 1729 but now I want to find the entry date/place
    when they came from Portugal to the Uk and their place in London where they lived.
    Probably in a Jewish quarter,maybe near the synagogue?

Maybe you or others can advise how to proceed or help me look for data since you live in London and the UK sp it would be easier to search.
    Thanks in advance,best wishes from the Hague,Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Beek1956 View Post
    Dear Kevin,had contact with this woman and she directed me to someone who can give me the copy
    of the marriage document.So that worked,so thanks very much for your input and data.
    Now for another challenge:they remaried in 1729 but now I want to find the entry date/place
    when they came from Portugal to the Uk and their place in London where they lived.
    Probably in a Jewish quarter,maybe near the synagogue?

Maybe you or others can advise how to proceed or help me look for data since you live in London and the UK sp it would be easier to search.
    Thanks in advance,best wishes from the Hague,Paul
    Dear Kevin

Would it be possible and no inconvience to you if I would ask you to find out all there is about these
    Duque ancestors in the National Archives?
    The link:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...ign=GR1visitus

gives all necessary information and you may give me a cost estimate of your expenses for
    this research(if you would like to do it and have the time)
    If too private,please give me your e mail and we continue in e mail.

Would really appreciate your help in this since it is very difficult for me to do it myself
    (bad health due to stroke)
    Hope to hear from you soon,thanks in advance,best regards,Paul

Dear Kevin

Would it be possible and no inconvience to you if I would ask you to find out all there is about these
    Duque ancestors in the National Archives?
    The link:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...ign=GR1visitus

gives all necessary information and you may give me a cost estimate of your expenses for
    this research(if you would like to do it and have the time)
    If too private,please give me your e mail and we continue in e mail.

Would really appreciate your help in this since it is very difficult for me to do it myself
    (bad health due to stroke)
    Hope to hear from you soon,thanks in advance,best regards,Paul

Paul
    I am very sorry to read about your stroke and sincerely hope that your health improves. As a guide to help you I have looked on the National Archives data base of records for Duque and the records do not appear to have any links to your lines but that is not to say that other sets may have the names. Similarly, the site London lives does not have Duque but I am aware that the surname spelling can be Duke or variations. There are Duque references but to other lines.
    However, there are various records on your lines on Ancestry.Com including family trees ( some public and some private). The data does include the Netherlands Genealogy links.
    There maybe early newspaper articles on Abraham and his descendants and I will check the Jewish Chronicle Archives but these date from 1841 to the present.

I can't remember if Kevin has access to Ancestry.Com but if not I am happy to post data where relevant.
    Best wishes
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Paul
    I am very sorry to read about your stroke and sincerely hope that your health improves. As a guide to help you I have looked on the National Archives data base of records for Duque and the records do not appear to have any links to your lines but that is not to say that other sets may have the names. Similarly, the site London lives does not have Duque but I am aware that the surname spelling can be Duke or variations. There are Duque references but to other lines.
    However, there are various records on your lines on Ancestry.Com including family trees ( some public and some private). The data does include the Netherlands Genealogy links.
    There maybe early newspaper articles on Abraham and his descendants and I will check the Jewish Chronicle Archives but these date from 1841 to the present.

I can't remember if Kevin has access to Ancestry.Com but if not I am happy to post data where relevant.
    Best wishes
    Phillip
    Dear Philip,thanks for your kind words,I am doing not too bad,taking every day at the time.Thanks for your kind help
    in researching my ancestors,all help is welcome.Have a nice day,best regards,Paul

Paul
    There is a reference to Abraham Duque tailor in the Minute Book of the Mahamad in 1739 - see snippet Google Books.
    You asked about possible records to identify when Abraham arrived in the UK and where in London he settled. The problem is that pre the Alien Act 1793 there were very few records kept of 'alien' arrivals in the UK and many records have been destroyed.
    What you have at the National Archives and through Ancestry.Com are the England Alien Arrival records 1810-1811; 1826-1869 but these pre-date Abraham's arrival in the UK by several decades.

Records for Duque for 1810-1811; 1826-1869 tend to record very brief details for example, Sr L Duque Merchant from West Indies Grenada and Sr N Duque same location and same date of arrival Southampton 19 June 1843; Cesavco Duque from Spain Gentleman arrived London 16 May 1845.

There are others but several with no first name and all post 1845.

It is likely that you will not find a specific date of arrival for Abraham.
    On Findmypast there is the Boyd's Marriage Index for a Abraham Duque and a Sarah 1809 London.

Phillip

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast