Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barrie and Pollock Marriage, census data etc.

I have been trying to find a marriage date and place for my Grand parents James Barrie and Elizabeth Pollock. James was born 5-19-1877 in Falkirk. Elizabeth Pollock was born 9-25-1881. I believe she was born in Glasgow. Any other data on them would be appreciated.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Ronaldmac, I have searched England & Wales but found nothing, could they married in Scotland?, do you have any other info on them.

Robert.

Famous for offering help & advice

There's is a tree on Ancestry that has them marrying 1901 Falkirk but it does not have any resources to back it up.

Dundee10

Possibly this one, you would need to look at the certificate to see why it is indexed like this:

BALLOCH, ELIZABETH POLLO
    BARRIE, JAMES
    479/ 113
    Falkirk

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I've allegedly checked the statutory marriages index on ScotlandsPeople for an Elizabeth Pollock between 1896 and 1920 inclusive with no sign of a groom called James Barrie.
    Searching for a James Barrie marrying an Elizabeth between the same dates shows an Elizabeth Barrie marrying a James in 1898. Could Elizabeth have adopted James' surname before married?

Do we presume that you have those names from the birth certificate of at least one of their descendants? (Preferably the one who is your ancestor.) I don't know if Scottish birth certificates list all the surnames a woman has had or just their current married surname and the maiden surname. When was their first child born? Is it possible that Elizabeth was a widow when she married James, and therefore the surname she had at that marriage would not be her maiden name.

Have you found them on any census? What was James' occupation on any documents you have?

Pam
    who's going back to sleep as the puzzle has probably been solved while she was typing.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dundee10

Birth
    BALLOCH, ELIZABETH POLLO
    F
    479/1 426

Her parents were, I think, Richard BALLOCH and Janet/Jessie NIMMO. I wonder if anyone has a birth cert for one of the BARRIE/POLLOCK children to confirn Elizabeth's maiden surname?

Scotland.

I have found a Marriage Intent record we have showing Elizabeth Balloch as the Mother's maiden name. It also shows her birth place as Falkirk.

You can see I found a record showing Elizabeth"s Maiden name as Balloch. Don't know where the Pollock came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I've allegedly checked the statutory marriages index on ScotlandsPeople for an Elizabeth Pollock between 1896 and 1920 inclusive with no sign of a groom called James Barrie.
    Searching for a James Barrie marrying an Elizabeth between the same dates shows an Elizabeth Barrie marrying a James in 1898. Could Elizabeth have adopted James' surname before married?

Do we presume that you have those names from the birth certificate of at least one of their descendants? (Preferably the one who is your ancestor.) I don't know if Scottish birth certificates list all the surnames a woman has had or just their current married surname and the maiden surname. When was their first child born? Is it possible that Elizabeth was a widow when she married James, and therefore the surname she had at that marriage would not be her maiden name.

Have you found them on any census? What was James' occupation on any documents you have?

Pam
    who's going back to sleep as the puzzle has probably been solved while she was typing.
    James shows on some census in U.S. working as laborer on railway. We found also, stone mason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast