Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Who provided the money?

In 1871, great grandparents were sentenced to 1 year's hard labour in Wandsworth prison. Their youngest child must have gone with them as he was baptised in the prison, and was one month old on the census. Sentence began in July 1871. However, they had 5 other children aged 16, 14, 12, 8 and 3 from the census. The eldest, a boy, worked for a newsagent [census info] and the 14 year old was a dressmaker. Did they have to depend on these small incomes to support themselves, or would the parish/ union help? Any thoughts on how I might find an answer to this query? Family lived in Brixton and area. No other relatives in London; all in Birmingham. pwholt

Possibly Poor Relief from the Parish?

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

Try searching the records of the Lambeth Board of Guardians. They may not necessarily all be online but all surviving records should be at the LMA.

Brick wall demolition expert!

In 1871 my guess would be that the 3 eldest children would have been working, and possibly even the 8 year old. But also I would endorse Peter Goodey's suggestion.

I had an unexpected road trip with our grandson, hence the tardy reply. Many thanks for the suggestions. I will do what I can to follow them up. pwholt