Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Don't you start with incorrect quarter names as well! I've checked this one and you mean March quarter 1912.

And I know that you know what you're doing but it would be helpful to any newbies who read other people's queries to explain how you know Archibald's second name is Wilkin as his birth registration only gives an initial. Info is from Archibald's death registration in 1984.

Pam
    Have you checked the GRO?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

Archibald Wilkin MEDFORTH m. Beatrice M WATTS in Southwark 1939 Q3 1D

They can be found on the 1939 Register living in Southwark.

Peter

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Have you checked the GRO?
    Not quite sure what you mean. I know that the pages of the GRO Index are headed Jan-Feb-Mar but for the seventeen years I've been doing family history (and, yes, I know I'm still a newbie compared to some people ) it's always been referred to as March quarter.

Added: Just realised what you meant. No, I hadn't checked the GRO's online historical birth and deaths index.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Not quite sure what you mean. I know that the pages of the GRO Index are headed Jan-Feb-Mar but for the seventeen years I've been doing family history (and, yes, I know I'm still a newbie compared to some people ) it's always been referred to as March quarter.

Pam
    But if you look at the GRO result for Archie MEDFORTH it says 'J Quarter'

Peter

Posted before seeing your added comment Pam!
    Last edited by elsinore; 21-01-2018 at 1:53 PM. Reason: added a bit

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    But if you look at the GRO result for Archie MEDFORTH it says 'J Quarter'

Peter
    We're getting in a bit of a muddle here, Peter and going crossed-eyed in the process.

My original comment about the quarter referred to Helachau saying Wilkin's marriage took place in January quarter, when he should have said March quarter.

Archibald's birth was indeed registered in June quarter, and Helachau's reference to me looking at the GRO Index was referring to how he knew Archibald's second name was Wilkin when the GRO Index only gave an initial. I'd forgotten about the 'new' online GRO Index for historical births and deaths.

Think I'll go for some food before I get a headache.

Pam

We're getting in a bit of a muddle here, Peter and going crossed-eyed in the process.

My original comment about the quarter referred to Helachau saying Wilkin's marriage took place in January quarter, when he should have said March quarter.

Archibald's birth was indeed registered in June quarter, and Helachau's reference to me looking at the GRO Index was referring to how he knew Archibald's second name was Wilkin when the GRO Index only gave an initial. I'd forgotten about the 'new' online GRO Index for historical births and deaths.

Think I'll go for some food before I get a headache.

Pam
    Yes, got that (I think!)

I presumed (never a good idea) that helachau had interpreted the 'J' as January.

It can be confusing though, as different sites use different terminology to denote a quarter. I try to use Q1, Q2, etc which I think is less open to misinterpretation.

Peter

The posting of "June" for the 1912 marriage rather than "March" was yet another "senior moment". Had recorded Quarter 1 (FMP) in my notes but translated on screen as June (careless).
    The June Qtr birth is cribbed exactly from the GRO - given names in full. Nothing to do with deducing it from given names at death
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks to all for the information. I have been told I made a mistake on Wilkin Medforth's B day. It was not 1917. We were looking for information on this family that I see can't be shared because of the rule about current living ancestors.
    I appreciate your time in the responses we have received.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldmac View Post
    Thanks to all for the information. I have been told I made a mistake on Wilkin Medforth's B day. It was not 1917. We were looking for information on this family that I see can't be shared because of the rule about current living ancestors.
    I appreciate your time in the responses we have received.

Ron
    That's why we've tried to give you pointers of where to look. It's basically the same as going back in time i.e. you have a name, then search for a marriage. However coming forward to the present day looking for children of a marriage is easier because you have the mother's maiden name included in the birth registration.

You could even do things in reverse. Start in 2007 (last year of online GRO Index for BMDs) with Medforth children birth registrations and work backwards. The only drawback with that system is that you miss out on the descendants of any female Medforths who married.

Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldmac View Post
    Looking for information on Medforth family from Yorkshire England.
    Wilkin Medforth b. 1917 is last we could find.
    Anyone with information please let me know.
    Can you state the source of your information please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast