Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Starting to feel at home

Default Ask the experts

I have a serious gap in my knowledge about Census returns.

There is a very specific area of the Barnsley/District for which I am attempting to find information.

The area was populated as far back as 1100+ and over the years has been known by several different local names.

I have no known families who lived there, until my parents bought property in 1962.

In 1962 it was known as #2 Priory Cottage, Lundwood, Barnsley. and by the end of 1962 it was 22 Abbey Lane, Barnsley.

Between the 1700's and 1962 there were various properties, all of which had gone by 1962.

The specific area is adjacent to Monk Bretton Priory, but is not in Monk Bretton. It is close to Lundwood and Cundy Cross

Old documents refer to the area as Burton Grange, Burton Farm, Abbey Farm, Priory Farm.

Are there any maps that show a physical area of a census.

#2 Priory cottage wasn't built until the 1920's ish, could have, maybe. I still have to go via the land registry to try and pick up some names.

Thank you for you patience in reading through this.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't think that there are maps specifically tied to censuses as such. However there are many historic maps that would details of particular areas.

You probably need to talk with someone who has local knowledge. The link below is to the Barnsley Archives and Local Studies Centre, and I would suggest that contacting them might well be a good idea.

https://www.experience-barnsley.com/a...scovery-centre

Burton Grange is on the map on this web page.

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26608

Looking at that map it could be Ardsley district.

If the Barnsley Local Studies can't help, try Sheffield, they helped me locate a farm in Hoylandswaine which is further north than the place of your interest.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/li...s-library.html
    Alma

Hi Peter
    Not sure the land registry route could help unless someone registered the property and the title deeds have been lodge with them.
    I know my late mother's house wasn't on the register and she held the deed since 1974.

1889 old map side by side with google earth

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-...&right=BingHyb

Both maps scrollable
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

You can't beat the Ordnance Survey maps! The National Library of Scotland (https://maps.nls.uk/os/) has most of them online England&Wales are listed after the Scottish versions.

On the '41 Census (eg. HO107 1324 22 2) Burton Grange residents were recorded -

Street - Burton Grange
    Parish/Township - Royston
    Town - Monk Bretton
    Registration District - Ecclesfield
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Hello. Thank you to everyone for their contributions. The 1841 census provides an insight of the area. The area of "lost properties"
    are around this structure.
    undefined

present day

The older "houses" were gone in the 1920's. An outline can be found on the map quoted, by Helachau, above. (Thank you) The 1777 Jeffery's map shows that what is now Abbey Lane was the only route through to Litttleworth and Monk Bretton, prior to the 1825 turnpike.

My research is an attempt to find descendants of the properties who may have photos.

Following on from your valued comments and knowledge I now know that there were no "maps". So I will have to build my own from various sources.

I lived at Abbey Lane from 1962 to 74, and in Barnsley until 2002. May be I should have started my research back then, haven't I heard genealogists say something similar.

FYI I am aware of the 2010 research done at the priory and the thesis, plus photos held by Barnsley and Sheffield Archives. My study and photos will be added to their archives when I complete.
    Last edited by Peter_NB; 20-01-2018 at 3:26 PM. Reason: Bits I forgot to add

Starting to feel at home

From the 1841 Census. Someone lived here, once upon a time. I haven't included my "gut reaction" translation so as not to influence. Please bear in mind that it would not have been far from the buildings that I featured in my previous post. Ideas welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast