Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomas McHale

Default Thomas McHale

My paternal grandfather was 245 Quartermaster Sgt Thomas McHale 5th Batt Royal Irish Regt who died on the 19th January 1915. In the 1911 Census for Naas, Co Kildare he is shown as Army pensioner clerk. I can find no trace of his previous military service although in the family he is believed to have been a cavalryman. I have no idea how to proceed further and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Hi..Did he die after rejoining for WW1?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

there are some badly damaged records on findmypast for=

First name(s) Thomas
    Last name Mchale
    Age 18
    Birth year 1871
    Birth county Mayo
    Birth country Ireland
    Service number 3263
    Regiment Royal Irish Regiment
    Year 1889
    Series WO 363
    Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
    Archive The National Archives
    Record set British Army Service Records
    Category Military, armed forces & conflict
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Yes, wether as a recalled reservist or volunteer is not known. The 5th Batt Royal Irish Regt was only formed on the outbreak of war.

CWGC adds that he was 44 when he died, and husband of Rose Shenstone (formerly McHale). He's on the Brookwood 1914-1918 memorial which is in Surrey. They have an interesting text about the people on the memorial which can be summed up that the memorial lists people whose graves are unknown but for whom research into their location continues. It's worth reading. Some graves are unknown because of circumstances, others because they died at home, which appears to be the case here.

There is a record on Ancestry for 3263 Sgt T McHale of the Royal Irish Regt who was wounded in an explosion on 19 Mar 1902 in Lydenburg, South Africa. He was in the South Africa Field Force. the Anglo-Boer War.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

looks like your man....born in Ballina. served from 1889 to 1909....was a sergeant. Served at home except for 1899 - 1902 when he was in South Africa. {Boer War}. mentioned in despatches,,,,annoyingly the reason why is illegible. lists his children as Thomas Michael b1903 james joseph b 1895 limerick.. mary ann b 1897 kildare.. john patrick b 1905 wexford. seems some of the childrens first names are different slightly?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

there is a birth for
    First name(s) James J
    Last name McHale
    Year range 1895
    Place Limerick
    Country Ireland
    Regiment 18th Foot
    Record source GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)
    Volume 1391
    Page 44

18th foot is the Royal Irish Regiment.
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Thank you, I knew my grandmother Rose Shenstone which is how I knew I had the right Thomas McHale. I have seen the CWGC site which was all new to me and the rest of the family. The fact that his previous service was with the RIR makes more sense than his having been in the cavalry. I think there has probably been some confusion with Shenstone (I don't know his first name, perhaps my next project, who definitely was a cavalrymen as my father remembered him.) Thanks again for your help,

Certainly does, no one in the family had any idea he had served in South Africa, thanks for your help.

do you have Thomas birth record?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast