Thread: Eva STAPLEFORD

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Eva STAPLEFORD

I think the answer to this brickwall may lie in just one particular newspaper notice, that newspaper being the London Evening Standard of 14 October 1893 - so if anyone has good eyesight, lots of patience, and access to British newspapers, perhaps they might have a look for this notice which I'm damned if I can find. It references Eva STAPLEFORD and her marriage on 20 February 1879 to Thomas William Legh HILTON at St James's, Paddington. A short-lived marriage I think because Thomas (born 1815, Rossington, Yorkshire) is "unmarried" on the 1881 and 1891 censuses.

Thomas is quite elusive possibly because of military abroad (?). The only other census I can find him on is the 1841 in Westminster (aged "20") - piece 738; book 17; folio 36; page 17. In 1881 he is a "visitor" in Portsea, Hampshire and in 1891 a "boarder" in Eling, Hampshire. He died in 1893 in (I think) Uxbridge yet seems to be buried in Norwood (??).

In 1862 newspapers he is listed as a bankrupt oil merchant. In 1858 he seems to be in the Worcestershire Militia but with a Yorkshire address (Burton Grange, Heslington - his married sister Mary Antonia Yarburgh was mistress of Heslington Hall).

On the 1879 marriage registration Eva STAPLEFORD is daughter of William, an army captain. I'm not sure if Eva is her real name - Ancestry seem to suggest she died as Amelia Sophia Hilton (in 1939 ??).

sorry, all a bit of a muddle. I think the answer is in that newspaper notice if any clever person can find it.

update - I've finally located that newspaper reference

"Eva H ---- , formerly Eva Stapleford (otherwise Saunders), who was married to Mr H--- on 20 February 1879 at Paddington Parish Church, or her representative (if dead) requested to communicate with Walker, Whitfield, Harrison solicitors"

so, not very helpful after all. Her husband had died in August 1893 so I guess the communication is to do with that.

janbooth

Thomas William Legh HILTON appears in the Manchester Rate Books (available to view on FMP) certainly between 1853-1856 as the occupier of Moston Hall.

Eva seems to be a mystery woman, doesn't she. The newspaper article in 1893 refers to her as Eva STAPLEFORD otherwise SAUNDERS, so where does the SAUNDERS fit in, and the Andrews Newspaper Card refers to her as Eva STAPLEFORD alias of Amelia Sophia HILTON ref NW 14-5-1939. To make matters worse I have so far been unable to find any trace of her under any of the above names! The Andrews Newspaper Card for Thomas William Legh HILTON states that he died at Norwood on 16.8.1893 and his widow is referred to as Amelia Sophia HILTON. But then nothing once again. More investigation needed I think.

Janet

thanks Janet. as you say, a mystery (inside an enigma ! ). If Eva/Amelia died in 1939 (is that what the Andrews Card means ? ) she must have been much younger than Thomas (born 1815). The death index record for Thomas, volume 3a page 26 is registration district Uxbridge but perhaps that covers Norwood ?

it looks like Moston Hall had belonged to Samuel Chetham Hilton, the name of both Thomas's father and a brother

janbooth

Yes, Uxbridge reg district covers Norwood between 1837 and 1947 when it switches to Ealing reg district.

The 1939 Register was taken on the 29 September and if the date of 14.5.1939 refers to Amelia Sophia's death, that would perhaps explain why I cannot find her in the 1939 Register, although having said that, I am having a singular lack of success in finding her anywhere apart from her marriage record! I cannot find a likely death registration for her under any of the above names using the date on the Andrews Card.

There is an Amelia HILTON living at 34 Winchester Street, Westminster in the London Electoral Registers between 1919-21, the only other occupant at that address being an Amy Elizabeth IMBERT. Then there is an Amelia HILTON living by herself at 20 Barnard Hill, Hornsey in 1923. In 1924 she is still there but now with a Frank & Mary Ann DUTSON at the same address. 1925 she is still at Barnard Hill but now with 3 other people living there including the above Mary Ann DUTSON. I wonder if I am barking up the wrong tree as by 1929 a Norah HILTON is living there as well as Mary Ann DUTSON and an Elizabeth Adelaide RANDALL. By 1931 she (now referred to as Mrs Amelia HILTON) and Norah are back in the city of Westminster living at 73 Gloucester Street. She and Norah are still there in 1939. Then I cannot find them with any certainty, but whether she is your Eva/Amelia Sophia who knows.

Janet

many thanks for your time and efforts. I always forget to look at electoral registers.