Default How to prioritise MOD search

Hi,

I am looking for my grandfathers RAF records and have his service Number together with some patchy information on his operational background. I’m aware this forum is not for asking about his history which is why my questioned is how to expedite an MOD search. My grandmother, turns 90 in April this year and I’d like to present some information as she knows little. Is it faster for me to apply under her name as next of kin or not? Any guidance from those who have trodden this path before would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jonathan

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.
    You seem to know that the MoD still have records for personnel who served after 1921. Links to the forms required as well as a lot of other useful information can be found here. You can fill out the form with your grandmother's details (name, address, etc) but she has to sign the form. The records are also free for her as the widow of a deceased serviceman. She will however need to send a copy of his death certificate unless your grandfather was killed in WW2. (Yes, you could apply for the records, but your grandmother would have to sign the consent form, and you would have to pay thirty pounds.)

If you came to us via Forces War Records, this tells you a little about the connection.

If you're looking for your grandfather's family history (his parents, grandparents, etc), then we should be able to help you with that.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”