Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Searching for Ivor Jones

My name is Thomas D. Hill II from Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA. I have been researching relatives in America and in Wales for several years. I had the fortune to go to England and Wales two years ago and meet some relatives who had come to America to sing at a North American Welsh Festival held in Scranton, PA.

I am doing research on my grandfather Ivor Jones who was born 4 Aug. 1880 in Aberdare, Wales and immigrated to America and married my grandmother Elizabeth Jones also from Aberdare, Wales. Ivor returned to Wales and was never heard from again. He left his wife and 5 children and made a new life for himself in Wales. He departed New York on 22 Oct. 1916 and never returned to USA. His father was Archibald Jones 1844-1916 and his mother was Mary Jones 1844-? He residedin Swansea, Wales on 5 Mar 1917.

I am looking to see if anyone has information on how to search British records to find him. Did he server in World War I or II? Did he died in one of the wars? If he didn't serve what happened to him? Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Thomas

Oh dear, Jones is such a common name in Wales but we do have some members who are far more familiar with Welsh research than me.
    As this is going to turn in to a research question I have moved it from the Introduce Yourself forum to the General Welsh Family History forum, new tile - Searching for Ivor Jones
    We just have to wait for those in the UK to wake up. although there are a couple of insomniacs who may still be around.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I thought I would take a look at the military records for WW1and there is what ancestry.com classify as a pension record. I was thinking I had hit the jackpot because the year of birth was correct but this Ivor Jones was a widower and joined up in 1914
    There is another pension record but this Ivor has a middle name regimental number 869.

With WW1 service records the bad news is that 60% plus were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a very big gamble as to whose have survived.
    What did survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Medal and Award records but it is very rare indeed for these to record anything other than name, Regiment, regimental number and the medals awarded. Because I found the pension record for another Ivor Jones we can dismiss him from the possibles.
    His regiment was the South Wales Borderers regimental number14368. H
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Ivor is on the 1939 Register on Find my Past. So we know he was still alive then. I can't give you the full details as FMP's T&C's don't allow their records to be made public. I'll use the information (wife's name and place of residence) and see if I can find more information.
    Alma

Did you know he applied for a certificate of naturalisation 25 Jun 1909 petition date?
    Ivor Jones, age 29 born 4 Aug 1880 Aberdare Wales, arrived 1902. residence Pennsylania
    William Burroughs

What was Ivor up to? He actually completed the application for Naturalisation through the US consulate when in Swansea in 1916? Just tidbits which make for an interesting story.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Passport application complete with picture on the reverseon FMP. Ivor stated that he intended to go on a trip for no more than 3 months!

Jones Ivor 1880 — 1916 United States Passport Applications Pennsylvania, United States

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ivor Jones Aberdare Wales

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Did you know he applied for a certificate of naturalisation 25 Jun 1909 petition date?
    Ivor Jones, age 29 born 4 Aug 1880 Aberdare Wales, arrived 1902. residence Pennsylania
    Yes. I have a copy of Ivor Jones' naturalization records. He went home for a funeral and never returned. But, I never found out this information until recently. I always assumed that he died but, had no idea where he was buried. My research showed that he returned to Wales and then I can't find any records.

Thanks for your efforts.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Since I am new to British Genealogy, I do not know all of the terms and what they mean. Is his passport application on the reverse on FMP and if so what is FMP?

Thanks for your efforts.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I believe that he returned to Wales for a funeral for either his father or mother. He never came back to America I assume because life with my grandmother and the 5 children was tough in Scranton. My grandmother raised her five surviving children (Archibald, Saron, Alice, Esther and Mildred) and lived a good life but it was hard to raise five children and no husband.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast