Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bluetntmo

Default John Henry Jacques

Hi
    I have been researching my tree on and off for some time, but have never been able to find my wifes granddad. Even when her dad tried to find his dad's birth certificate so he could claim his pension, he too hit a brickwall and just chose one that had a father listed as a 'gentleman farmer' because he thought that his dad had said that his dad was a farmer!

What we do know is that John Henry Jacques celebrated his birthday on 26 October and we believe he was born in 1899. He married Lilian Street 12 April 1917 in Surrey they had 4 children John Edwin, Colin Richard Hubert, Irene Hilda and Kathleen Iris and died 4 June 1978 in Nottingham.

I'm hoping someone out there maybe able to help me by steering me in the right direction

Hi
    There is this birth registration
    John Henry Jacques
    Registered Dec 1/4 1898
    Registration district - Basford Nottinghamshire
    Vol 7b Page 170
    Mother's maiden name Lee.

The only other two in the same time frame are in 1895 Lancashire and 1901 Warwickshire.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is a marriage record on FreeBMD with these two names on the same page.
    John Henry Jacques and Clara Hemsley Lee March 1/4 1894 Basford registration district.

John Henry Jacques celebrated his birthday on 26 October and we believe he was born in 1899. He married Lilian Street 12 April 1917 in Surrey
    You need to order this marriage certificate from the GROwhich will give John H's father's name and occupation.
    John Henry Jacques married Lilian Street June 1/4 1917 Franham registration district vol 2a page 267

This will make sure you have the correct bloke because there are quite a few John Henry Jacques around even though i thought it was going to be an unusual name!

Christina
    William Burroughs

This is the 1911 census for the John Henry Jacques born 1898 in Basford.

John Jacques 42 Colliery winding engineer (surface) born Middleton Lancashire
    Clara Hensley Jacques 42 wife married 17 years. 4 children born alive to this marriage one has died. Born Ilkeston Derbyshire
    Cyril Jacques 14 Ilkeston, Derbyshire
    John Henery Jacques 12 Ilkeston, Derbyshire
    Harry Jacques 10 Ilkeston, Derbyshire

The children's births are registered Basford (on the GRO index) which spans the boundaries of the counties of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and accounts for their births being Derbyshire in this census.

Do any of the other children's names ring a bell with your wife?

Christina
    William Burroughs

bluetntmo

Thanks for that Christina I have just sent an older cousin a message to ask if she remembers any uncles with these names will let you know

Maurice

Have you looked for him on the 1939 Register on Find my Past? I can see only one in Nottinghamshire to fit a birth year 1898 +/- 2yrs. He's in Basford but his wife is not named Lilian, do you know when Lilian died, also his date of birth isn't the same. Do you know what his occupation was?
    Alma

Forget this, I don't think it's your chap.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Have you looked for him on the 1939 Register on Find my Past? I can see only one in Nottinghamshire to fit a birth year 1898 +/- 2yrs. He's in Basford but his wife is not named Lilian, do you know when Lilian died, also his date of birth isn't the same. Do you know what his occupation was?
    There is a more likely record in the 1939 Register. Is it likely or possible they were still in Surrey in 1939?

I found JHJ and Lilian's marriage certificate and note his age in 1917 is entered as 25yrs giving a birth year approx 1892 so earlier than you thought.
    Alma

You need to order this marriage certificate from the GROwhich will give John H's father's name and occupation.
    John Henry Jacques married Lilian Street June 1/4 1917 Franham registration district vol 2a page 267
    Hi Christina, the original parish register marriage cert. is on Ancestry. JHJ's father is listed as John deceased (so little help) JHJ is entered as 25yrs, a bombardier. Both witnesses have surname Street (no help in finding JHJ's family). Lilian was 30yrs.
    Alma

bluetntmo

Thank you almach yes Lillian died july 1949 in Frimley Green aged 63

Maurice

Maurice, have you found them on the 1939 register? It gives a different birth date to the one you have for JHJ. Findmypast's terms and conditions don't allow us to publish their records. If you don't have a subscription you can buy a few pay as you go credits. Alternatively, you may be able to access the site free through your local public library, I'm unsure whether the free library edition includes the 1939 register.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast