Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default G/mother to Sydney 1912

Here are the basics.
    Grandfather: John Richard Young, born Scremerston, Northumberland, 1881, trained as a fitter/turner in coal mines, engaged to g/mother (Agnes Neilson Nicholson, born 1880 in Berwick on Tweed) in 1911. He left London for Aust 5 July, 1911 on SS Rangatira, arrived Sydney 19 Aug 1911. Ship was under immigration charter to The WA and NSW governments, with 1000 skilled tradespeople and families; 230 disembarked at Freemantle, WA, and the remainder at Sydney. He got a position in Abermain Colliery, Newcastle (NSW). I have this info OK and confirmed.
    Next confirmed fact: John and Agnes were married on 24 Feb 1913, in Drummoyne, Sydney.
    My brickwall: how/when did Agnes get to Sydney. Presumably between late 1912 and early 1913 (trip is around 45-50 days). My mother (their daughter) had a note of the SS Levuka. That ship was sailed from River Clyde 16 April to Brisbane and arrived 4 June. It had passenger cabins but was designed for fruit cargo from Fiji. It has some bad luck, and never went back to UK. So must have been another ship.
    I've looked at all the ships I could find, London to Sydney, Dec 1912-mid Feb 1913, not all had passengers, and lists hard to find. I understand she was travelling as a single woman, paying for own passage (not so well recorded).
    Any guidance, info will be appreciated. Thank you, Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, this is the nearest record I've found. Any good?

Agnes Nicholson, Age 31
    Departure 11th Jan 1913
    Departure port London
    Destination port Sydney
    Destination SYDNEY
    Ship name Waimana
    Alma

How certain are you that JRY left the UK before Agnes?

Name: Agnes Nicholson
    Birth Year: abt 1877
    Place of Origin: Glasgow, Scotland
    Ship Name: Waipara
    Port of Departure: London, England
    Port of Arrival: Brisbane
    Arrival Date: 5 Jul 1911
    Alma

Hi Malcolm
    I have moved this thread from the Introduce Yourself forum to the Brickwall forum for now. It can be moved again if necessary depending on the direction the research takes.
    Do you want to follow your grandparents back to their parents, g/parents etc or do you already have that information,

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Spot on almach. Just what I wanted , name of ship. Waimana is a town/area name in Hawaii. The other ship name Levuka, is a town in Fiji.
    But I think she shaved a few years off her age!
    Departed Port London 11 Jan 1913, arrived Sydney 21 Feb 1913. 42 day trip, and just in time for her wedding on 24 Feb.
    I can now look into Waimana.

Settling in

Hi Christina,
    thanks for request, but at the moment I am OK with earlier generations there .
    I got massive info from the UK census' fro 1841 to 1911, for all UK folk.

Settling in

Tracking a Great Aunt. I confirmed my Grandfather, John Richard Young, born Scremerston, Northumberland, 1881, left London for Aust 5 July, 1911 on SS Rangatira, arrived Sydney 19 Aug 1911. I am trying to determine if he may have been accompanied on the same ship by his older sister Jane Young, born 1869 in Scremerston. Thank you.

I have found John R Young on the passenger list for Rangatira 5 July 1911, however there doesn't appear to be a Jane Young on the list.
    Alma

Dundee10

According to the census, Jane was born in Ancroft.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V51F-5XY

There is a good chance she married in 1889 to John RENTON. Amongst their children were an Edward Young RENTON and John RENTON, twins born in 1894. Both died as infants.

Jane and John were still living in West Hartlepool in 1911.
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWHX-M3H

Settling in

Hi Dundee. This is a great lead. I have Jane Young born 1869 Ancroft, Scremerston, and she is in family home (of Edward Young) in 1871 and 1881. But she is absent 1891 and 1901, which fits in with your info she married John Renton 1889. Does that mean they were living in West Hartlepool 1891, 1901 and 1911?
    I note your info on death of twins 1894.
    However, sometime soon after 1911 they migrated to Aust, and are on the electoral roll at Gumma, Macksville, Nambucca, N. NSW in 1913. John Renton is also mentioned in local newspaper 1913. John died 1934 (probate to Jane 30 Nov 1934).
    Are you able to assist with migration date/ship?
    many thanks, malcolm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast