Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BRIGHT, Barnaby - foundling

My brick wall - I have a record of the christening or baptism of Barnaby Bright, June 10, 1709 foundling at St. Andrew Undershaft in London, England. Father is listed as J. Bapard. Barnaby was from Bitton, Upton Chaney (Cheney), Gloucestershire.

BRIGHT, Barnaby 1708

BAPARD, J

I’ve no idea where to go from here… Any suggestions are welcome.

Hello and welcome to Brit-Gen.

The baptism record for Newnham Gloucestershire doesn't say J BAPARD, it has been transcribed and indexed wrongly in my opinion. Here's how I read it:
    Barnabas Bright supposed bastard, bapt: June 20th 1703, Newnham Gloucestershire.

ETA: There are two conflicting records on Ancestry in this collection
    "Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813 for
    Newnham 1678-1748"

The second one is easier to read but gives the date of bapt as June 20th 1701.
    Alma

The record I found on ancestry gives the year as June 10 1708 at St Andrew Undershaft, City of London. and the original document to my eyes says Barnaby Bright, foundling, was baptised. That is all it has in the original entry. No reference that I can see to Bapard unless a transciber at some point mistook Baptised for Bapard
    I have tried following the imges through from the first page but my eyes started to hurt!
    The baby is named as a foundling - which to me means it was abandoned and taken in by others. So did the parents hand the child over to a foundling hospital and a name chosen for it which has no connection to anyone or were the parents known.? In which case why aren't the parents named as in the other baptisms? I don't have any experience with records this far back. My brickwalls come earlier than this.
    Christina.

Added: Alma are these two different foundlings?
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina,

Will you look at this record please, and see if you agree with me (it's where I think SThomasBRIGHT picked up the name BAPARAD). It's within this collection on Ancestry, "Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813" for Newnham 1678-1748"

The baptism record for Newnham Gloucestershire doesn't say J BAPARD, it has been transcribed and indexed wrongly in my opinion. Here's how I read it:
    Barnabas Bright supposed bastard, bapt: June 20th 1703, Newnham Gloucestershire.
    Choose the 1703 baptism (confusingly, there's also a 1701)

Alma

Hi Alma
    I will take a look and you may also want to look at my post again because I have added/changed a bit.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Yes I agree Alma, it says - supposed Bastard.
    Also looking at all the other entries it gives only the first name of the child then states son/daugh of (the names of the parents) whereas Barnabus is entered with his full name.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Added: Alma are these two different foundlings?
    It's difficult to tell, Christina, from the three baptism records.

The London baptism is 1708, whereas the Gloucestershire one is 1701 or 1703 depending which record you look at. I wonder if SThomasBRIGHT has some extra knowledge to link the London foundling with the Gloucestershire baptism(s)? Or, if it's an assumption based on neither baptism naming parents, so probably unknown, and it not being a common name.
    Alma

I think the record indexed 1701 should say 1702, it also says 'supposed bastard' but is indexed without the father's name of J Bapard. Both must be for the same child, one is probably from the parish register, the other Bishop's transcripts. As for the London one in 1708 I don't know how that has been tied to the Gloucestershire records.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by SThomasBRIGHT View Post
    My brick wall - I have a record of the christening or baptism of Barnaby Bright, June 10, 1709 foundling at St. Andrew Undershaft in London, England. Father is listed as J. Bapard. Barnaby was from Bitton, Upton Chaney (Cheney), Gloucestershire.

BRIGHT, Barnaby 1708

BAPARD, J

I’ve no idea where to go from here… Any suggestions are welcome.
    If all your information is definitely for the same child he sure did travel about. Bitton to Newnham is getting on for 50 miles, then a move to London about 120 miles.

Please can you say how you know he was born in Bitton, and why you say the Newnham and London baptisms are for the same child.
    Alma

Bitton baptisms all with father Lewis
    Sarah Bright 6 Jul 1712
    William Bright 27 Jun 1709 (mother Sarah)
    John Bright 12 Sept 1713
    John Bright 13 Oct 1717 (mother Sarah)
    Mary Bright 13 Sept 1718

There's also this baptism which may be of interest
    Barnabus BRITT (could it be a misheard Bright) 11 Mar 1706, father Lewes
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast