Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Selby in Southwark

Hi Everybody! My Name is Matt, I'm from Toronto, Canada and I've been doing research into some specific people in my family tree but sadly I've hit a full stop.
    My great x4 grandfather on my mothers side and his brothers were all criminals in Southwark, England active between the 1880s and 1900s. I have numerous reports from newspapers about the main few, them being Elijah, Christopher and Thomas Selby (My direct ancestor) however criminal records seem to allude me!
    I have one instance where Chris was tried in The Old Bailey archives, but i was hoping to find some arrest records from the Southwark district, however i cant find a single police record or criminal registry from that area!!!
    My main goal is finding mugshots because i read that past 1857 it was legal procedure to photograph any individual arrested in london and wales. I hope you guys might be able to help me out with it if possible! I think theres a very interesting story to be told here, charles dickens even once wrote about the uncle of the siblings, James Le Blanc about his arrest for robbing and assaulting a guy in 1856 i believe.

Anyways if anyone knows where arrest records from Southwark are stored, digitized if possible please let me know!
    Thanks so much, Matt ^u^

Hi Matt, and welcome to Brit - Gen.

I'm just about to go to bed, it's 2.20am here, but am asking questions as the answers will help other forum members. You haven't given any indication to when these brothers were born, without birth years the search is difficult. Do you know their parents names?

As for finding mugshots, only a small percentage are online. Do you have a subscription to Ancestry, they do have some criminal registers. Once it is established where and when the criminal activities took place, we can point you to the relevant record office to contact and ask if there's more information available.

You have posted in the 'Introduce Yourself' forum, which is as it says on the tin the place where you tell us a little about yourself. No worries, as you've posted a request for help it can be moved to a more apt forum where it will gain more interest. Right now I'm over tired, if another moderator isn't around I'll move your post in the morning.
    Alma

Hi
    this thread is now in the London forum with the title Selby in Southwark.
    Sorry Alma I have been slack today, well in the forum anyway.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records, 1659-1930
    Saint George's Workhouse, Mint Street Register, 1905
    Christopher Selby age 35
    Discharged 10 April 1905
    Parish or Poor Law Union - Southwark
    The admission record on the 8 April says he is a bricklayer and age 38.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

From Ancestry's Surrey Calendar of Prisoners:

Newington - Southwark Police Court Warrant issued 10 March 1888, received into custody 3 March 1888, Elijah SELBY, aged 21, Labourer, Stealing a watch and chain value £8 the goods of Charles Frederick WETHERED, tried 4 April, found not guilty of Larceny to the value of £5 in a dwelling house after previous conviction of felony. The said Elijah appears to have married twice, once in 1887 at Southwark and the second time in 1900 also at Southwark - both parish register entries available to view on Ancestry. If you can access FindmyPast, it has a list of his convictions from 1889 to 1907 - can't give you details because of their terms and conditions.

I have found two other entries of admission to St George's Workhouse, Mint Street, Southwark, the first dated 12 December 1894, for Christopher SELBY, Bricklayer, born 1868, from St George's parish, and this is followed by another admission on 22 July 1900. FMP also have criminal records for Christopher SELBY.

Janet