Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Settling in

Its narrowing it down enough to feel confident that we have the right people that's the trouble. I've gotten in touch with a distant relation, and they said that they were told once that the John that came to Australia had a brother already here. Based on his obituary, if he is the eldest, that must mean that he had a younger sibling come to Australia first. I haven't been able to find anything out to verify this yet...

name variants - I am also tracking another John in Ayrshire Glasgow etc - found him as McLauchland 1871 Ayrshire - McLachlan, McLaughlan and McLaughlin in various locations as he follows the railway jobs around Scotland - Dougherty is also Docherty, and Doherty - brest of luck in your search

Settling in

Thanks for the suggestions! I have tried most variations without much luck, but not the first one you suggested. I will give it a go.

Best of luck to you also!

for info - The McLauchland can be seen for both an Irish, my relative, and a Scot on the 1871 census for the railway huts at the camp of Carmacoup, Douglas, Ayrshire. My relative died 1909 as a McLaughlan. Spelling depended on the scriber. Also found that John can become Joannis (Latin) when there’s a baptism. All the best.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456