Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Loves to help with queries

I've now find the records. So glad you did - and pointed out my error. Not that I was fully convinced the two Eleazer Lazarus were the same person, but I thing I liked the plot and motivation I'd devised (I'm a fiction writer...).

Happy to support- Looking at the data now does it affect your original enquiry #1? Do you want to add any revisions or look for other confirmations?
    Phillip

Phillip,
    Johnstone's London directory 1817) has LAZARUS, Elia, Indian Muslin Warehouse, 46 Chiswell.
    If you look again, you'll see that the 1828 entry (also in the 1829 directory) is actually for Eliza Lazarus, presumably Eleazer's widow, Elizabeth. According to the 1861 Census, Elizabeth was a "former draper" (under Occupation), and her daughter Julia was born in Chiswell Street. (I wish I could find Julia in the 1841 and '51 censuses, but so far, she has eluded me. Perhaps with an older married sister...)

Default Back to the Birmingham LAZARUS?

Phillip,
    It seems for now that Eleazer and Elizabeth LAZARUS of Chiswell Street are a red herring.
    So I'm back to trying to find any more I can about pre-1841 LAZARUS links to Birmingham.
    One "clue" - such as it is - is through Joseph Woolfe COHEN of Dublin.
    He was born c. 1779, died 1869 age 90.
    On the 7th inst., at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr. Joseph Isaacs, Newport, South Wales, I.[sic]W. Cohen, late of Dublin, Deeply lamented by his relatives and friends.(Jewish Chronicle Page 12: Aug 13, 1869)
    According to a newspaper item, assuming JW COHEN is him, was in Dublin by 1815.
    According to Susser's transcription of Jessop's Joseph family history, Coat of Many Colours, Joseph Woolfe COHEN married Rebecca LAZARUS of Birmingham.
    (I don't know if the chapter Notes are Jessop's, or if Susser added these himself; in any case, I've no idea where the information that Rebecca was from Birmingham originates as there's no further information about her. More anon...)
    In 1829, the partnership between Joseph and his brother Solomon, at 14 Lower Ormand Quay, Dublin, is dissolved.
    In 1838, Joseph Woolfe Cohen and "Henry Lazarus, the nephew and partner of Mr. Cohen, was examined" in a court case. (Dublin Evening Post - Saturday 06 January 1838 p.4 Insolvent Debtors Court)

Bankruptcy in 1843: Joseph Woolfe Cohen, of Lower-Ormand Quay, and Henry Lazarus of Parkgate Street, trading under the firm of J.W. Cohen & Company, at No. 14 Lower Ormand Quay, in the said City of Dublin, as wholesales jewellers, dealers, and chapmen, to surrender on Monday, the 24th of July, instant, and on Tuesday, the 22nd of August next.

Rebecca (LAZARUS) COHEN died in 1844: Deaths: On the 1st unst., Rebecca, the beloved wife of Mr J.W.Cohen, of Lower Ormand-quay, leaving a large family and numerous circle of acquaintance to bemoan her loss. ( Saturday 06 July 1844 Dublin Weekly Nation Page 8)

IF the reference to Henry Lazarus being a nephew of Joseph W. Cohen is correct, one might suppose that this was through JWC's wife, Rebecca. The problem is that Henry is from a line of Portsmouth Lazaruses, traceable through Henry Roche's Portsmouth pages on synagoguescribes. Henry's father was Lewis, son of Simon/Simeon Lazarus of Portsmouth. Lewis had a brother, Mark/Mordecai; Lewis and Mark both left Portsmouth, and they and their sons appear in various records (notably, bankruptcy notices), in Dublin, Bath, London etc. But I can see no connection to Birmingham. Nonetheless, there is a network of business and marital relationships that connect the 3 Lazarus women - separately identified as being from Handsworth/Birmingham - and three Lazarus lines (Exeter, Portsmouth, London). (The connections are complicated; I'm working on a list.)

If you can see anywhere to go with this, I'd be delighted!
    Eve

Forgot to add that another long-time researcher, Jeffrey Maynard, has posted a string of children for Joseph and Rebecca, but mostly just first names. One of their daughters married Joseph ISAACS of Newport, Wales, in whose home Joseph died. But that hasn't led me back to Rebecca's origins.

I am re-visiting my own Lazarus distant relatives who married into the Jacobs and Hart/Solomon and Crawcour lines. Just worth seeing if there are any remote links to your lines.
    For your general reference my Solomon/Hart line appears on Coats of Many Colours Pedigree of Solomon of Exeter-Josiah Solomon=Bella Hart- this line connects through marriages to Myer Salaman; Phillips; Solomon and to the Nathan and Marcus Adler lines.
    Here are some Lazarus surnames from The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewsih Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd

Death- Eliza Lazarus Thursday 3.6.1869 at her residence 53 Great Prescot Street in her 83rd year, relict of Eleazer Lazarus of Chiswell Street Finsbury Square

Death Elias Lazarus 27.2.1863... at his residence Greenway Terrace Coventry Road Birmingham- Rebecca Leah Lazarus daughter=Alfred J Moses son in law second son of J M Moses of 7 and 8 High Street Swansea

Marriage-Julia Lazarus 30.12.1868 Birmingham eldest daughter of M Lazarus late of Exeter. She married Bernard Rubenstein 37 Old Bond Street W- links to Barnett Lazarus brother; Rosetta Harris sister in law Rev A Barnett uncle

Marriage- Lizzie Lazarus 21.10.1868 at residence of Henry Berens at Acock's Green Birmingham eldest daughter of the late Henry Lazarus of London, to Mr L Lowenstein of Birmingham

Just selecting Lazarus -Birmingham records but there are others for Lazarus in London and other places.

Suspect you already have this data but it may help others.

Phillip

[QUOTE=phillip;655116]
    Here are some Lazarus surnames from The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewsih Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd]

<Death- Eliza Lazarus Thursday 3.6.1869 at her residence 53 Great Prescot Street in her 83rd year, relict of Eleazer Lazarus of Chiswell Street Finsbury Square>

Elizabeth was at this address in the 1861 Census.

<Death Elias Lazarus 27.2.1863... at his residence Greenway Terrace Coventry Road Birmingham- Rebecca Leah Lazarus daughter=Alfred J Moses son in law second son of J M Moses of 7 and 8 High Street Swansea>

Elias Lazarus was from Poland. He married Sophia Aaron and was a pawnbroker in Digbeth, Birmingham. According to FreeBMD, his son-in-law's name was Alfred Isaac Moses.

<Marriage-Julia Lazarus 30.12.1868 Birmingham eldest daughter of M Lazarus late of Exeter. She married Bernard Rubenstein 37 Old Bond Street W- links to Barnett Lazarus brother; Rosetta Harris sister in law Rev A Barnett uncle>

This is one of a whole slew of Julia Lazaruses in the Exeter Lazarus family. Her parents were Moses LAZARUS and Rebecca SCHULTZ. Moses' parents were Eleazer LAZARUS and Julia SOLOMON.
    Julia (SOLOMON) LAZARUS died in 1836; she must have been well-loved (or at least not-to-be-forgotten) as she had something like nine granddaughters and a niece named Julia.

Barnett LAZARUS (changed name to LAURANCE) married Rosetta HARRIS of Glasgow, Scotland.

Caroline, another child of Eleazer LAZARUS and Julia SOLOMON, married Rev. Abraham BARNETT of the New Synagogue. They married in Exeter in 1838.

Bernard Joseph RUBENSTEIN and Samuel Joseph RUBENSTEIN were brothers, sons of Levin RUBENSTEIN. Samuel married Sophia DYTE. Her parents were David Moses DYTE and Hannah, daughter of Henry/Hirsh Pencilmaker LAZARUS and Parla of London. (Parla died 1827 and her will is available from Ancestry.)

<Marriage- Lizzie Lazarus 21.10.1868 at residence of Henry Berens at Acock's Green Birmingham eldest daughter of the late Henry Lazarus of London, to Mr L Lowenstein of Birmingham

Lizzie LAZARUS who married L(udolph) LOWENSTEIN was another descendant of Henry/Hirsh Pencilmaker and Parla LAZARUS. Her father was Henry (c.1814-?) son of Lewis Henry (1784-1837) son of Henry Pencilmaker LAZARUS. Elizabeth/Lizzie's aunt, Henry's sister Julia, married Henry BERENS.

Henry Pencilmaker and Parla LAZARUS's daughter Elizabeth (1786? - 1835) married yet another LAZARUS, Jacob/Coppel LAZARUS (synagoguescribes). As far as I can tell, Jacob isn't related (by blood) to the other LAZARUS lines. He was a jeweller in Camarthen, Wales. His Hebrew name is transcribed as Coppel b. Lazer from Kermertown (?), but I don't know if he or his father is "from Kermertown", or where that is.

Two of Elizabeth and Jacob's sons went to India. One, Charles, established a well known furniture-making business. Coincidentally or not, Charles F. LAZARUS's Calcutta business was at the same address as that of optician Nathan LAZARUS, son of Moses LAZARUS and Rebecca SCHULTZ (above; Barnett LAZARUS/LAURANCE was also an optician, but he and Rosetta settled in Toronto, Canada). Nathan LAZARUS (born Exeter 1849), son of Moses and Rebecca, optician in Calcutta, should not be confused with his uncle Nathan LAZARUS (born Exeter 1826), who used the surname LAWRENCE, who was also an optician (Canada, USA, London, Sheffield), and whose sons founded another optical business in India. (This last is Lawrence & Mayo; it is now a major company, but did not stay in the Lazarus/Lawrence family.)

(The Exeter LAZARUS family has a complex interweaving of cousin marriages and optical businesses, but I won't go into those here, as they don't directly relate to the names/entries originally posted.)

Oi! An earlier post needs editing. Let's try again.
    I found the convict records and see that, as you say, this Eleazer LAZARUS is not the Chiswell Street India Muslin merchant. (I meant to say that as a novel writer, I liked the plot I was building around a returned convict, and the possible motivation for John LIZARS to fudge his father's identity.) (I shouldn't try to write non-fiction while short of sleep.)
    I do see that this correction is rather late in the string, but I can't seem to delete it. I think I'll go make tea instead.

Eve
    A suggestion- as you know there are many transcription errors on the various pay sites. In #23 you were looking for a Julia Lazarus. If you compare the Ancestry.Com transcriptions for a Julia Lazarus born between 1816-1839 with those of Findmypast you will see for example that in 1841 there are 7 Julia Lazarus born 1816,1818,1828,1829,1833,1833,1838 -Findmypast. If you then cross reference to Ancestry.Co same 1841 Census I have not located the 1816,1829, 1838 births using the full range of name searches and also leaving out Julia.
    Similarly, for Ancestry Com 1851 Census there are Julia Lazarus 1815, 1821, 1834, 1839.
    There is a Julia LASARNE ( transcription error and should read Lazarus) b 1815 in the house of Philip Philips H Clothier 42 b London Married to Esther with 3 children and Julia u 36 Shopkeeper b London recorded as Relation.

HO107 1526 10 13 (Copyright,TNA) 62 Compter St. St Bartholomew Middx

It might be worth using FMP as a cross check on 'missing names/data"

Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Eve
    A suggestion- as you know there are many transcription errors on the various pay sites. In #23 you were looking for a Julia Lazarus. If you compare the Ancestry.Com transcriptions for a Julia Lazarus born between 1816-1839 with those of Findmypast you will see for example that in 1841 there are 7 Julia Lazarus born 1816,1818,1828,1829,1833,1833,1838 -Findmypast. If you then cross reference to Ancestry.Co same 1841 Census I have not located the 1816,1829, 1838 births using the full range of name searches and also leaving out Julia.
    Similarly, for Ancestry Com 1851 Census there are Julia Lazarus 1815, 1821, 1834, 1839.
    There is a Julia LASARNE ( transcription error and should read Lazarus) b 1815 in the house of Philip Philips H Clothier 42 b London Married to Esther with 3 children and Julia u 36 Shopkeeper b London recorded as Relation.

HO107 1526 10 13 (Copyright,TNA) 62 Compter St. St Bartholomew Middx

It might be worth using FMP as a cross check on 'missing names/data"

Phillip
    Silly me, I had the 1851 Census entry for Philip Philips already. For some reason, I confused Jane's and Julia's names and had added a "Jane" with Julia's birth year it my database. I think in any case that at that point I would have doubted that a Julia born in 1815 was the same Julia who, according to later censuses, was born in 1831, or even 1836! (I picture her as wearing increasing amounts of gaudy makeup as she grew older and simpering when men told her how young she still looked, knowing she'd knock a few more pence off the garments they bought from her.)
    I do use Findmypast (or Familysearch) to look for entries mistranscribed by Ancestry, but I think you're more logical than I in comparing the entries. Lazarus is one of those names that transcribers mangled badly - I'm sure there are still many entries under that name yet to be "discovered".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123