Default ISAAC ISAACS-CATHERINE LYONS

This thread follows on from three previous threads on the Isaacs/Crawcour/Solomon and other connected lines- see Lewis Isaacs-Catherine Solomon; Henry Isaacs-Alice Cashmore; John Isaacs-Deborah Solomon-Crawcour links. In the previous threads I referred to an important source of records and other data on the lines see Samuel Isaac, Saul Isaac and Nathaniel Isaacs -M Jolles 1998 (private publication).
    Jolles provided data on Reb Samuel Isaacs of Poole the father of Lewis, John and Isaac. The three brothers settled in Chatham Kent.
    Jolles wrote.." Reb Samuel of Poole. The identity of Samuel Isaacs, senior of Poole, is inferred from the patronymics of his three sons , Lewis, John and Isaac. These patronymics appear in the Chatham Synagogue Ledger at the head of the folios relating to his (Samuel, senior , 's') three sons, where he is referred to in the formulae 'bet/mem/vav/he/space//shin/mem/vav/ aleph/lamed' meaning 'son of Samuel' Chatham Hebrew Congregation Ledger, folios 19, 20 and 21 respectively)

In the case of Isaac Isaacs c 1791-1850 who had married Catherine aka Katherine Lyons 1796-1849, Jolles also provided data on their respective tombstones in Chatham Jewish Cemetery. He also referred to their son Louis who drowned in 1844... "An 18 year old boy , Lewis Isaacs, who died, along with others, by drowning in the River Medway in 1844. He was the son of Isaac Isaacs( who was son of Samuel Isaacs, Senior of Poole)... His Hebrew name was Yehud(a). The date of death was 02.03. 1844. The headstone which is pointed in the middle of the back row , against the hospital wall"-Chatham Jewish Cemetery

The mother of Louis aka Lewis above Jolles notes as .."Katherine Isaacs is buried below the raised area, that is the second row away from the hospital wall, in the left of midline. Kathleen Isaacs was the wife of Isaac Isaacs and the mother of the drowned young man Lewis Isaacs. The Hebrew reveals that she was Kila, daughter of Isaac Arieh, and that she was the wife of Isaac son of Samuel, aged 53. The Englis reads.." In memory of Katherine Isaacs/wife of Mr I Isaacs (of this place, who departed this life August 18 1849, aged 53 years./She was an affectionate wife/loving mother, a sincere friend/Her loss will be deplored..(unclear) who knew her"

Her husband Isaac Isaacs tombstone.. "The Hebrew reads Yitzhak bet/mem/vav/he Samuel.. Isaac son of Samuel Isaac, senior of Poole." The appellation consistently confirms the revered status of Samuel Isaacs senior of Poole. Isaac Isaacs died 28 June 1850 (5610. His grave is located a few feet to the left of the grave of Simon Lazarus Magnus (1801-1875?

See also Cemetery Scribes records- Isaac Isaac 9Yitzhak b Shmuel ID 10075- GRO sept 1850 Isaac Isaacs London 2 115; Catherine Isaacs ID 10076 GRO Sept qtr 1849 Medway 5 452

I will post further.

Phillip

Probate for Isaac Isaacs- see Synagogue Scribes NA 1181 Will Extracts Isaac isaacs of Chatham outfitter 21 Oct 1850. The full will of Isaac Isaacs was written 30 Sept 1847. In the will he only names his son Charles Isaacs among his children. Isaac referred to Charles as " my son Charles having for the past four years assisted me in the management of .. (Isaac's business).
    Isaac's wife was named as Catherine and the witnesses to the will were Simon Magnus and L Magnus. Miriam Isaacs daughter of Lewis Isaacs was to marry Samuel Magnus. Simon Magnus was to have a major role in funding the building of the Chatham Synagogue.

The will was proved 21 Oct 1850 .."granted to Charles Isaacs one of the natural and lawful children ". Catherine the wife of Isaac had died in 1849 during the lifetime of Isaac.

The 1841 Census shows Isaac with some of his children -
    (Copyright TNA) HO107 487 817 46 14
    The dob for those over 15 years were rounded down to the nearest 5 years but this was not always applied consistently.

High Street Chatham Kent
    Isaac ISAACS 45 Army outfitter Not born in county
    Charles Isaacs 20 Y
    Elizabeth Isaacs 20 Y
    Harriett Isaacs 15 Y
    George Isaacs 13 Y
    Caroline Janton? 15 Y
    Caroline Jacob 15 N
    +1 FS

1851 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 1610 363 28
    High Street Chatham
    Charles Isaacs H U 28 Outfitter b Kent Chatham
    Elizabeth sister u 26 b Kent Chatham
    George brother u 23 b Kent Chatham
    Mary sister u 19 b Kent Chatham
    Henry brother u 26 b Kent Chatham
    Sophia SAMUEL visitor u 30 b Kent Woolwich

1861 Census ( Crown Copyright TNA) RG9 478 59 19
    Charles Isaacs H M 38 Merchant b Kent Chatham
    Julia wife 31 b Surrey Richmond
    Mary Kate dau 4 b Kent Chatham
    Henry George son 2 b Kent Chatham
    Eleanor dau 7 months b Kent Chatham
    Kate SAMUEL visitor u 36 Fundholder b Surrey Richmond
    +2 servants.

Charles had married Julia Samuel in 1854.

Phillip

The following records from The London Gazette and JewishGen UK Data base London Registered Insurance policies show Isaac Isaacs both in Chatham and London.
    Isaac was a Bankrupt in 1823 The London Gazette 8 April 1823- Isaac Isaacs of Chatham Kent slop seller, silversmith, Dealer and Chapman.
    He was in further financial difficulties by 1840 -The London Gazette 25 April 1845 Declaration of Dividends under a Fiat dated 17 July 1840 against Isaac Isaacs of Hammond Place Chatham Kent army clothier and outfitter a bankrupt.

Worse was to follow - The London Gazette Weds 27 April 1842 Isaac Isaacs late of 14 Borough Road Southwark Surrey General Dealer -Queens Bench Prison- this was the Debtors Prison
    In the same year -Isaac Isaacs formerly of 11 Hammond Place Chatham then of 94 High Street Chatham both in Kent General Dealer and late of 14 Borough Road Southwark Surrey General Dealer- Court for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors The London Gazette 31 May 1842.

The London Registered Insurance Policies show- Charles Isaacs outfitter and General Dealer 94 High Street Chatham 10.02.1846-02.02.1848 jointly with Isaac Isaacs

Much earlier- Isaac Isaacs slop seller and army clothier 11 Hammond Place Chatham 05.04.1827 and at same address Broker and General Dealer 03.02. 1832 and stock on 3 Watts Place Chatham
    Then slop seller, army clothier and silversmith 11 Hammond Place 15.04.1835 and evidence of diversification in trade- Perfumer,stationer and tobacconist 11 Hammond Place 25.05.1839
    Later-outfitter and general dealers 94 High Street Chatham 12.02.1846-02.02.1848 jointly with Charles Isaacs his son

Phillip

I am re-visiting the data on Isaac Isaacs and in particular his wife Katherine aka Catherine. In the original post of this thread I had recorded the last name as LYONS for Catherine.
    Several Ancestry.Com family trees have also given Lyons as the last name for Catherine. The 1851 Census Anglo Jewish data base (JewishGen) records the parents of Charles Isaacs b 1823 ID 7179 and his siblings as mother Catherine LYONS.

The issue is that there is currently no record that I have identified which shows that Catherine was a Lyons.

The Ancestry.Com family trees have also in several cases incorrectly linked Catherine to a marriage to an Isaac Isaacs in 1818.
    However, the Synagogue Scribes Records show:
    GSM 182/46
    Marriage 26 August 1818
    ISAAC ISAACS -father's Hebrew name Yehuda Leib-spouse SARAH LYON father's Hebrew name Moshe

This couple are not the same individuals as Isaac Isaacs and Catherine not least because of the differences between the first and last name of Sarah Lyon compared to Catherine aka Katherine.
    Importantly, the tombstone inscriptions of Isaac Isaacs and Katherine as transcribed by Michael Jolles see #1 of this thread clearly state that Isaac was the son of Reb Samuel Isaacs and that Katherine was Kila daughter of Isaac Arieh. Ariah or Aryeh is Hebrew for Lion but it should be noted that there are other derivations.

Clearly, Sarah Lyon with father Moshe or Moses cannot be Katherine aka Catherine father Isaac Ariah.

In addition, the 1841 Census ( I will post the full record later) shows Katherine Isaacs age 50 General Dealer b in county with Barnet Nathan age 8 also b in county.They are living at Military Road Chatham. There is no doubt that she is the wife of Isaac Isaacs but he is at another trading address in the census as Jolles indicated in his publication on the Isaacs as per my #1.

It is possible that Catherine aka Katherine recorded as born in county may have been born in Canterbury or Thanet or another part of Kent rather than Chatham.

If anyone can identify a marriage record for Isaac and Catherine which confirms her maiden name both myself and another of my Isaacs distant relatives would be very grateful.

Phillip