Thread: medals

Default medals

Hi folks,and what a splendid website.
    I am looking into my late uncles service(ex R.N. Stoker) and on his service records he was awarded the 39-45.Atlantic,Italy stars,and the War medal.Can anyone tell me if he would have also been awarded the Defence medal,as I thought all who served got it?I' trying to make collage and medals bar and would like to include all(including his two korean ones too).
    Thanks in advance.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi xfireballx,

Welcome to Brit-Gen. Yes, indeed, it is a fantastic site with plenty of friendly knowledgable members willing to help.

This Link will explain the criteria for the awarding of medals.
    It appears that your uncle would not have been eligible for the Defence Medal as he was in operational service, unless he served time at a training base, etc.

Regards
    Malcolm.
    Last edited by macwil; 06-01-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Correction of medal name

Many thanks Malcom,
    that just brings up another question as my grandad had one,but went to africa in 8th army,and italy.
    Mark

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Mark,

Yes that is possible, it would depend on his service record. He may have been in one of the qualifying categories. You will need to compare their service records.

There are no records available on-line for any armed forces personnel still serving after 1920. MOD have them.

There is a Sticky Here which will help with the info you're looking for. (click on blue link)
    In brief:- If the person is still alive only they can obtain their records, if not, their spouse/civil partner can get them without charge but will have to supply a Death cert., otherwise it will cost you £30, a copy of his Death cert. and patience.
    For people other than next-of-kin there is a restriction on the amount of information supplied for 25 years after date of death.

Regards,
    Malcolm

Many thanks again Malcom,I will investigate further.

Reputation beyond repute

According to Wikepedia ("Defence Medal (United Kingdom)"), "Those who qualified for the award of any one of the Campaign Stars, could be awarded the Defence Medal in addition"

So it would appear from this that the answer to the question is yes, he would have been entitled to the Defence Medal.

The MoD Medal Office will be able to provide the official position.

Many thanks Peter

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    . . . .The MoD Medal Office will be able to provide the official position.
    My link in post #2 IS to the MOD site.

Under the Defence Medal it says:- The Defence Medal is awarded for non-operational service such as those service personnel working in headquarters, on training bases and airfields and members of the Home Guard. The medal is also awarded for non-operational service overseas for example in India or South Africa.
    There are further qualifications below this, which is why I said appears not to qualify and in post #4 I recommended that his service record would need to be checked.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

Reputation beyond repute

I'm aware of the discrepancy which is why I suggested consulting the Medal Office.

A fountain of knowledge

The criteria for the defence medal is very long & complex I am afraid, it is probably the most complicated of all WWII period medals.
    The only assumption I would make for this medal in particular is that anyone who served long enough in the Home Guard would qualify, everything else and you'd have to check the service records.

e.g. Group Captain Douglas Bader had a defence medal - he definitely had one so he clearly qualified for one of the many criteria, but I don't know which one!