Default James Robert Wallice, Liverpool.

I am searching for information on James Robert Wallice who joined the Royal Navy at the end of 1938.. He trained in Ipswich on HMS Ganges, transferred to Battleship Rodney. Also served on the Caribidis and the Maidstone and was on the latter when if came under eight days of German Bombardment in the Mediterranean. He was discharged in 1945 with perforated ear drums due to the bombing.

janbooth

What sort of information are you looking for, Dot. There is a death registration for a James Robert WALLICE in December 1969 at Barrow in Furness reg district where his dob is given as 30 January 1923. Birth registration March qtr 1923 at Liverpool reg district, mother's maiden name MAYBURY. Marriage registration for a James R WALLICE in March qtr 1945 at Barrow in Furness reg district - can't give you his wife's details as she may just still be alive.

Janet

Hi Jan, Thanks for your information. My uncle James Robert Wallice was actually born on the 28.01.22 according to my mother, his sister Dorothy Clara Wallice married name Collison. Yes his mother was Edith Caroline Maybury married to James Wallice. Yes he did live in Barrow in Furness. I thought he was married earlier than 1945 - my mother told me that his wife did not want to continue their marriage when he returned from the War. I was hoping to find out more about his service in the Royal Navy and whether he had any children which would be my cousins. Dot Spot.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Dot Spot,

Firstly, as you said James was in the Royal Navy I've moved this thread from the Royal Air Force forum to the Royal Navy one.

His service record is still held by the MoD. See your William Begley thread for details of how to obtain it.
    However prior to 1972, Navy personnel were given their records on discharge so the MoD only have their service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases. Most of which you seem to already have.

You can probably find the ships' logs at The National Archives in Kew, so could find out more about what the ships actually did in the war. Don't expect to find James listed in any of those documents though.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam. Somehow I don't think I will be able to obtain much information about my Uncle James Robert Wallice as I am not next of kin but I will certainly look at the ships he served on to give me some more back ground on his service. Dot Spot in Oz.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Provided someone died more than twenty-five years ago then anyone can apply for a person's service records. The criteria is that you need to send a copy of the death certificate and thirty quid.

Re the marriage than Jan found, you can find it on FreeBMD and then search the same site for a birth (there's only one) with surname Wallice, and a mother's maiden surname which corresponds with that of James' bride.
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    FreeBMD also have a possible marriage for that child.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”