Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb A couple of brick walls - Brewster/Nicholls

Hi All,

I'm all very new to this, so please play nicely!

I’ll try to make this easy to understand as best I can.

I've hit a couple of small brick walls and I wondered if anyone could take the time to shed some light……

I'm 31 and I was adopted at birth, so my knowledge of my birth family is very limited. Unfortunately, I don’t have the luxury of being able to pick up the phone to find out about my family history so I’ve hit ancestry/findmypast etc to do a bit of digging.

My birth mother is (name removed as a living person) Brewster - Born Jun 1961 in Ashford in Kent. Her Mother’s maiden name is ‘Gillingham’

Her parent’s names are Cyril and Grace – I know this from speaking to my Birth Mothers sister, who I do not have regular contact with. Family seems to be a difficult subject so I wasn’t able to press for more information and we no longer have contact.

I have found a death record for Cyril H Brewster in Ashford in Kent saying he was born 5th September 1916 and died March 1996. I initially struggled to find Cyril’s birth record and found one for a Cecil H Brewster in Fulham, London on July-Aug-Sept 1916 – Mothers Maiden name ‘Nicholls’

I also found a marriage between Cecil H Brewster and a Grace (surname Thompsett) on December 1976 . Then, I had a bit of a break through and a corresponding first marriage for Grace E Gillingham to a Albert R Thompsett in September 1948, She had been married before! Also, just as a nice little reassurance for me that this was correct, I have 23andme DNA testing and found a gentleman linked who I have traced the Gillingham line back 6 generations. Grace E Gillingham is definitely my Grandmother confirmation that ‘grandpa’ Cyril was actually Cecil H Brewster.

Following so far?

Now, The struggle comes from the Brewster side

I have Cecil and Grace’s marriage certificate which states Cecil’s Father’s name as ‘Ernest Jack Brewster’. I have found a marriage between an Ernest John Brewster and an Elizabeth Mary Nicholls in Jan-Feb-March 1902 in Wandsworth, London.
    They are then found in Fulham with records of other children’s births registered around the birth of Cecil – So I think this is correct. I cannot find any other marriage which would match and prove there was another Brewster/Nicholls partnership, maybe someone else can?

There are 4 Brewster’s with the mother’s Maiden name of Nicholls within that period born in the area.

1st Ernest John Brewster born 1903 in Putney (He appears on the 1911 census with Elizabeth and Ernest and also on later electoral rolls)
    2nd Constance M Brewster born Jan 1915 Fulham (Appears on various Electoral rolls alongside Elizabeth and Ernest)
    3rd Cecil H Brewster born Sept 1916 Fulham
    4th Leslie H Brewster born Dec 1924 Fulham (Appears on various Electoral rolls alongside Elizabeth and Ernest)

Firstly I’d like to confirm that these are Cecil’s parents, I suppose the only way of doing this is ordering his birth certificate, which I can do but haven’t yet. Alternatively, by placing him with them on a census or electoral roll, which I haven’t been able to do yet. Is there any other way?

Secondly, I cannot follow Elizabeth Mary Nicholls any further back before her marriage in 1902, as I just can’t find a solid birth record for her. The 1911 census says she is from Newcastle and born in 1881, the 1939 census gives her birth date as 6th July 1881. Her marriage certificate in 1902 says her father is ‘John Nicholls (deceased) – Fisherman)’ Can anyone find a corresponding birth which might fit.

Thirdly, (I don’t ask a lot do I!) ….Cyril/Cecil, whatever he wants to call himself, is a bit of an elusive figure. All three other children appear on the electoral roll along side their parents, Cecil is nowhere to be found. Have I got the wrong parents or was he off somewhere else? In addition to this cannot find him or his first wife (Kathleen Hynes – married in 1938) on the 1939 census ANYWHERE. Where was he between his birth and his first marriage and why can’t I find him on the 1939 census. I wonder if he didn’t want to be found!

Hellllpp!
    Last edited by almach; 02-01-2018 at 6:10 PM. Reason: Removed name of living person

Hi KatFeek,

Welcome to Brit - Gen, I'm sure our members will be able, and eager to offer you help. I must point out though that we don't allow living peoples names to be published. Do you know for instance whether your birth mother is still alive? If she is still alive your post can be easily 'tweaked' and edited and will still retain all information to help members help you. If you think your mother is still alive say so on this thread and her name can be removed.

That's the negative stuff dealt with. I'll now take a look at your folks and see if I am able to help
    Alma

Oops! As far as I’m away she is still alive, thank you very much. I’ll edit appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by KatFeek View Post
    Oops! As far as I’m away she is still alive, thank you very much. I’ll edit appropriately.
    Hi KatFeek, I have now removed her first name and we can now get down to trying to help. I'm hungry though so need a snack but I'll be on the case soon and I'm sure others will join in.
    Alma

Firstly I’d like to confirm that these are Cecil’s parents, I suppose the only way of doing this is ordering his birth certificate
    That birth certificate is a must, without it you could be following the wrong folks.

I'm finding it odd, but not impossible that there's 12yrs between the first and second born children.

1st Ernest John Brewster born 1903 in Putney (He appears on the 1911 census with Elizabeth and Ernest and also on later electoral rolls)
    2nd Constance M Brewster born Jan 1915 Fulham (Appears on various Electoral rolls alongside Elizabeth and Ernest)
    3rd Cecil H Brewster born Sept 1916 Fulham
    4th Leslie H Brewster born Dec 1924 Fulham (Appears on various Electoral rolls alongside Elizabeth and Ernest)
    I started a cursory search for Elizabeth Mary Nicholls born 1881, if her birth date of 6th Jul 1881 (1939 register) is correct she would be registered in the Sept quarter, I didn't find one anywhere in England or Wales. Searching for Elizabeth Nicholls produces a few but none in Newcastle (either on Tyne, or under Lyne). It is possible she wasn't born Newcastle, census place of birth descriptions aren't always right, however I looked for Elizabeth with father John a fisherman and had no luck with that either. I'll continue searching and hope a clue turns up!
    Alma

I'm having the same problems as you Alma.
    There are quite long gaps between the birth of the first two children 12 years) then only one year between second and third then 8 years between 3rd and 4th - Cecil and Lesley. As you say not impossible but....
    I wonder if the father was a 'made up' name and Elizabeth was illegitimate.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs