lgilham

Cool Checking in to the Brit-Gen board

Hi all,
    I've been slowly piecing the family history together particularly the period before the family moved to the states in the 1850s. I think I have a pretty solid base back to the late 1590s. Looking forward to seeing if I can push back from there.
    lgilham

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You've obviously been busy in the the five years since you last posted on BG. Back to the 1590s is an excellent result. Most of my lines are currently only back to the 1750s - I need to do some serious research this year.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

lgilham

Default Response to your note

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You've obviously been busy in the the five years since you last posted on BG. Back to the 1590s is an excellent result. Most of my lines are currently only back to the 1750s - I need to do some serious research this year.

Pam
    Pam,
    Busy with life but not very busy on the family history. Seems I will have to save pennies and make the trek to the UK and do some digging in the parish records to see where Anthony Gillam came from.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Sounds as if you could be over here for quite a while if you have no idea where Anthony came from.

If you do have an idea, then check out the local family history society to see what records they might have transcribed.
    FamilySearch are adding more records every year, so it's always worth checking there.
    FreeREG (transcriptions of parish registers, Bishop's Transcripts, Archdeacon's Transcripts -PRs, BTs, ATs) is another source but there are probably not too many transcriptions for that time period as the early registers are quite difficult to read.
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Again, if you have an idea of which county Anthony might have come from, you can often check the county archives website to see which PRs/BTs/ATs they have for that time period. Possibly unsurprisingly not all registers from the earliest in 1538 survive.
    It could be cost effective to hire a researcher, but make sure they're familiar with early registers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

lgilham

Lightbulb Thanks for the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Sounds as if you could be over here for quite a while if you have no idea where Anthony came from.

If you do have an idea, then check out the local family history society to see what records they might have transcribed.
    FamilySearch are adding more records every year, so it's always worth checking there.
    FreeREG (transcriptions of parish registers, Bishop's Transcripts, Archdeacon's Transcripts -PRs, BTs, ATs) is another source but there are probably not too many transcriptions for that time period as the early registers are quite difficult to read.
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Again, if you have an idea of which county Anthony might have come from, you can often check the county archives website to see which PRs/BTs/ATs they have for that time period. Possibly unsurprisingly not all registers from the earliest in 1538 survive.
    It could be cost effective to hire a researcher, but make sure they're familiar with early registers.

Pam
    Pam,
    Thanks for the point! I'll give Freereg a try first.
    Lloyd Gilham